This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Country blocking exception not working

I'm running Firmware version: 9.303-2. I have Country Blocking turned on to some  countries, one of which is Netherlands.

When I try to go to: Yellow Bricks

I get this error:
Content blocked
While trying to retrieve the URL: Yellow Bricks
The content is blocked due to the following condition:
The URL you have requested matches a forbidden Country. If you think this is wrong, please contact your administrator.

I went to "Country Blocking Exceptions" and created a an exception called "Whitelist"

It says its set to:

skip blocking of these countries:
    [Netherlands] Netherlands
for traffic going to these destination networks:
    Whitelist 1
    Whitelist 2
    Whitelist 3
Using these services:
    Any

For the three networks, I've tried three things:

Name: Whitelist 1
Type: DNS Host
Hostname: Yellow Bricks

Name: Whitelist 2
Type: DNS Host
Hostname: yellow-bricks.com

Name: Whitelist 3
Type: Network
IPV4 address: 109.237.219.143 /32

None of them work. 

If I tell the country blocking list to allow Netherlands, it lets me access the site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Arch

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • This appears to still be an issue with version 9.312-8. I added a DNS group to my block exceptions and it was still blocked. I had to toggle the Country block on and off a few times as well as the exception rule. Then it kicked in. 

This is surprising to me! [:O] Why is this still not fixed? Turning off the country blocking, even for a few seconds, during end user use is not a good thing! It should never have to be turned of for maximum protection.

Has anyone heard anything new since April?

------------Update-------------
    I am unable to get this working in my new build.

I have it set up like this:

Skip blocking of all regions
    For all request GOING TO THESE
    Block Exceptions Network Group  
    For HTTP and HTTPS

I even tired it with nothing checked in the countries, as suggested.
    I then tired it with a single DNS group for urlquery.net in the going to these.

No joy. Is there a plan to fix this? I hate to go back to CIDR blocks...

C68
  • This appears to still be an issue with version 9.312-8. I added a DNS group to my block exceptions and it was still blocked. I had to toggle the Country block on and off a few times as well as the exception rule. Then it kicked in. 

This is surprising to me! [:O] Why is this still not fixed? Turning off the country blocking, even for a few seconds, during end user use is not a good thing! It should never have to be turned of for maximum protection.

Has anyone heard anything new since April?

------------Update-------------
    I am unable to get this working in my new build.

I have it set up like this:

Skip blocking of all regions
    For all request GOING TO THESE
    Block Exceptions Network Group  
    For HTTP and HTTPS

I even tired it with nothing checked in the countries, as suggested.
    I then tired it with a single DNS group for urlquery.net in the going to these.

No joy. Is there a plan to fix this? I hate to go back to CIDR blocks...

C68
Children
  • Hi,

I'm running 9.311-3 on an SG 230 and having this same problem. The workarounds didn't work in my case. Conde68's idea with the transparent skip list got closer though. Rather than a "country blocked" message from the page, the page timed out after a couple minutes.

I also tried doing both a country exception AND a transparent proxy skip list.

Now wondering if there'd be any point in submitting a support ticket since Soohos MUST know this is still an issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Jeff - Sophos fixed this for me, after submitting an SR. They need to look at your particular setup. After looking at mine, they figured out where the blocking was taking place, and we were able to come up with an exception rule that worked.

Thanks,

Steve P

• On 9.408 and it is still broken.  The wirkaround I was given was to disable url filtering for the desired site.   Of course, thst makes it impossible to limit access to a few users only, based on category. Another case is being escalated.

• The trick is that the country blocking excdpfion needs to include "http cache" service in addition to http and https.  Juxt finishex a case on this with support.

An alternative is to disable url checking in a web filtering exception.