This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the purpose of SIP protocol support

Hi Group,

What is the purpose of SIP protocol support located at
Network Protection --> Voip --> SIP

Is this a feature that you enable in order to deal with RTP on high port numbers without having to open a large range of ports?

I'm using an asterisk based pbx that is sitting behind an astaro firewall.  It is natted with sip port 5060 open to it only.

A quick check of the firewall logs seems to indicate the high ports are being blocked.

PS - we will have some voip phones out on the Internet needing to connect to the pbx sitting behind the astaro without vpn.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Bob,

I wanted to revive this real quick.  For background, I have an asterisk sip pbx sitting behind an astaro.

What is the benefit of using the sip proxy to connect my sip provider to my pbx as opposed to simply opening the sip firewall rules on the firewall.

What I'm wondering is if the sip proxy gives me some extra functionality that I don't get with simply opening port 5060 and udp 10000-20000 to my pbx.

Tom
  • Hi Bob,

I wanted to revive this real quick.  For background, I have an asterisk sip pbx sitting behind an astaro.

What is the benefit of using the sip proxy to connect my sip provider to my pbx as opposed to simply opening the sip firewall rules on the firewall.

What I'm wondering is if the sip proxy gives me some extra functionality that I don't get with simply opening port 5060 and udp 10000-20000 to my pbx.

Tom
Children
  • The SIP proxy provides the ability to limit where the traffic comes from, you enable security and that stops a lot of strange attempts to connect to your pabx.
    It also means you don't have create firewall rules to allow calls outbound.

Ian
  • The SIP proxy provides the ability to limit where the traffic comes from, you enable security and that stops a lot of strange attempts to connect to your pabx.
    It also means you don't have create firewall rules to allow calls outbound.

Ian

Ian, thanks for your response, however I'm still not clear on the difference.

The firewall can limit the ability of where sip traffic comes from too.  If I set the firewall to only allow traffic from the sip provider doesn't that do the same thing as the sip proxy?

Regarding rules to allow calls outbound, there is generally no outbound firewall rules set on the astaro, it is generally used for inbound firewalling only.

Again, I'm just trying to understand the difference, there must be something, but I'm not seeing it.  From my point of view there is no benefit to using the sip proxy.