This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Give priority to a URL over other traffic

Hello

I am looking for the best solution in giving a URL priority over any other sites being visited for all users.

Cheers Paul

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Paul and welcome to the UTM Community!

It looks like Jaydeep was thinking about another tool because you can't use a URL in QoS in the UTM.  When you define the Traffic Selector, use the FQDN of the URL in a DNS Group object as the Destination.  If you name that object "Preferred URL," the Selector would be 'Any -> Web Surfing -> Preferred URL'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob, that is exactly how I had created the Traffic selector.

My next question now is when creating the Bandwidth Pool do I bind that on our Internal Interface or our WAN Interface?.

Is it possible to give some priority to traffic coming inbound from that URL ??

Thanks Paul

• A Bandwidth Pool guarantees outbound bandwidth on the interface to which it is bound, so you would use this Traffic Selector in a Pool bound to External.

You could bind a Pool with the opposite Traffic Selector to Internal, but that probably wouldn't gain you much.  The inbound problem can only be addressed with Download Throttling rules, but that's a dull knife.  Say you have a 100Mbps Internet connection and wanted to guarantee at least 20Mbps to the Preferred, you would do that with two Throttling rules, in order:

1. Limit 'Preferred -> Any -> Any' to 1000Mbps
    2. Limit 'Any -> Any -> Any' to 80 Mbps

You only can favor select inbound traffic by limiting all other traffic.  The first rule above merely creates an exception for the second one.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • A Bandwidth Pool guarantees outbound bandwidth on the interface to which it is bound, so you would use this Traffic Selector in a Pool bound to External.

You could bind a Pool with the opposite Traffic Selector to Internal, but that probably wouldn't gain you much.  The inbound problem can only be addressed with Download Throttling rules, but that's a dull knife.  Say you have a 100Mbps Internet connection and wanted to guarantee at least 20Mbps to the Preferred, you would do that with two Throttling rules, in order:

1. Limit 'Preferred -> Any -> Any' to 1000Mbps
    2. Limit 'Any -> Any -> Any' to 80 Mbps

You only can favor select inbound traffic by limiting all other traffic.  The first rule above merely creates an exception for the second one.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data