This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Circumventing processor throughput limitation on UTM using DMZ?

I have a home office with a SG-105.  After recently upgrading to a 1Gbps broadband circuit, I am trying to figure out how to use that bandwidth for my home purposes, without the limitations of the UTM.  

If I configure a port for a DMZ, can I shut off packet inspection for that port and then have access to the full internet bandwidth, understanding that I won't have security on that port?  Or will the throughput limitation of this sized UTM still apply?

Thanks for any input on this subject.

Steve

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hey Steve - welcome to the UTM Community!

Let me add my voice to Emile's...

I never recommend Sophos appliances for home users.  If I were you, I would buy/make a PC with at least a 3+GHz quad-core CPU and 8MB of RAM.  You 'll be able to restore your existing configuration to the new device.  Once you have your new UTM running, sell that 105.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob:  Which type of Linux would I install?

• You're right that an appliance license won't work on your own computer, Steve.  If you're not running a business out of your home where you're using the UTM to protect your business, you can use the free home-use license.  If you are using this with business uses, send me a PM.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

you don't install linux, just the SG from the ISO disk.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Turns out that he does run a business out of his home.  In an exchange of PMs, I commented that the 105 was right for his business (includes Sophos Support!) and that the free home-use license could be put on a beefier computer so that non-business computers could take advantage of the Gb connection.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Turns out that he does run a business out of his home.  In an exchange of PMs, I commented that the 105 was right for his business (includes Sophos Support!) and that the free home-use license could be put on a beefier computer so that non-business computers could take advantage of the Gb connection.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data