This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Routing - BFD

Does the UTM support BFD (Bi-directional Forwarding Detection) ?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents

• Since you have been around this forum for awhile, I suspect you knew the answer to this.   I had to look it up in Wikipedia to know what BFD was.    Since UTM has yet to implement widely used and 10-year mature technologies like IKEv2 and DMARC, I would not expect it to ever implement an emerging technology like BFD.

More to the point, BFD looks like a solution in search of a problem.   If you want to now that a LAN-attached resource is reachable, acquire a network monitoring application that can check, and generate alarms,  based on ping response, web page availability, free disk space, CPU usage, running services, and similar features.   I try not to mention non-Sophos brands in this forum, but if you send a PM I can tell you which product I am using.

• Lol.... you're quite correct and sometimes I do post just to log things in case somebody else comes looking for the same thing.

We do use Zabbix extensively for our monitoring for that side of things and we do use OSPF, EIGRP & BGP which have their own failure detection incorporated etc.

Problem is, we've now been told (from the highest levels outside our organisation) that our FW's must have BFD and VDOM's (minimum 2) for certain things.

The rest of the SG330 rev2 fits the spec so I am questioning the reasoning for this. I suspect I will hit a brick wall so I might have to start looking at Fortigates etc

• You are giving me an education.   Can you explain VDOMs?   I could not find that acronym in Wikipedia.

• VDOM's are virtual domains for firewalls. In the Cisco world, they are known as "contexts" which aren't quite as flexible.

In the real world, think of them as a virtual host that has 10x virtual UTM's hosted on it. It's basically an appliance that has virtual firewalls (the same concept as physical servers to virtual servers that sit on a physical host)

I'm no expert and haven't used them but straight away alarm bells ring in terms of the hardware spec required to run these things. I can see the appeal with separation, security etc but you are talking of expense here.

https://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1123/inside-fortios-vdoms-50.pdf

• "from the highest levels outside our organization"

Is this a government mandate in GB, Louis?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • "from the highest levels outside our organization"

Is this a government mandate in GB, Louis?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data