This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RADVD does not seem to be working

Hello--

I have the home version of Sophos (version 9.505-4) and for the last few weeks, my IPv6 connection was intermittent, but now it seems to be dead. I am with Spectrum Cable (Formerly Time Warner), which has full IPv6 capabilities in my area.

So, I have had this firewall running on a dedicated box for about a year and a half with no problems whatsoever with IPv6, everything except reverse resolution worked here: http://ipv6-test.com In the last few weeks, I noticed that my IPv6 was not working. Initially I enabled and disabled IPv6, rebooted the firewall, enabled and disabled the router advertisement etc. I even tried to use Hurricane Electric's service, but it depends on radvd too. The only way I can get IPv6 to work is to NAT the prefix to the /128 address on my public interface.

Interestingly, when I enable and then disable router advertisement, I sometimes get a message that the operation is not permitted.

I have seen several threads on this on the forums, but I was wondering if anyone has a fix. As this is not a commercially supported firewall, I am not afraid to edit some files.It seems like radvd cannot read the config file, and tries over and over. The permissions on the file are root/root, and if I disable prefic advertisement the file disappears. Any ideas?

Logs:

ipv6_watchdog[15628]: Starting IPv6 address watchdog
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: JSON "eth1", "up", { "gateway6": "::", "network6":"1"}
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: JSON "eth1", "up", { "address6": "::", "netmask6": "0", "network6":"1" }
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: Start of monitoring interface eth1(ifidx 3)
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: RA flags changed for interface eth1(ifidx 3): NONE -> SENT,OTHER,MANAGED,READY
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: Installing default route via fe80::201:5cff:fe7b:7446 for interface eth1(ifidx 3)
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: RA flags changed for interface eth1(ifidx 3): SENT,OTHER,MANAGED,READY -> SENT,RCVD,OTHER,MANAGED,READY
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: Interface eth1(ifidx 3) was of type NONE, changed type to NA
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: JSON "eth1", "up", { "gateway6": "fe80::201:5cff:fe7b:7446", "network6":"1"}
ipv6_watchdog[15628]: Started dhclient6 -N (pid 15938)
radvd[16504]: version 1.9.2 started
radvd[16507]: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
radvd[16507]: attempting to reread config file
radvd[16507]: resuming normal operation
[the last two events repeat endlessly...]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.