This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vlan assignment to multiple interfaces

Hello guys,

I know the issue i am facing had been previously discussed in other topics, but i couldn't find an answer on it.

I have Sophos home UTM installed on a PC with 3 physical interfaces. I want to accomplish the following scenario:

interface1 - WAN

interface2 - LAN unmanaged switch (Vlan2)

interface3 - trunk to a Cisco AP (Vlan2, Vlan3, Vlan1)

The problem here is that i cannot assign same vlan on more than one interface (in my case, vlan 2); i cannot make an "access mode" interface like in Cisco. 

Is there a way i can solve this?

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

you are confusing a device which is designed as a high performance multi level (protocol) switch as distinct to a high performance firewall.

Ian

If you wish to send traffic between various interfaces you need use firewall rules but you can only have a unique network id assigned to an instance. On cisco switches the VLAN id are used as traffic routes or tunnels as another way of thinking.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• so shortly said, it is not possible to achieve what i want.

either i trunk all the vlans towards a layer3 switch and from there i can spread them on which ports i want, or i assign different vlans on sopos's physical interfaces. Am i correct?

• Hi Radu,

you are correct, that method will also reduce the load on the firewall as the switch will be routing the internal traffic.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• yes, i was thinking about that. too bad i cannot implement it, as i don't have a layer3 switch and one of those are pretty expensive.

When you say the switch will handle the internal routing, you reffer to the traffic inside the same network segment, right? Because the Firewall will have to route between different network segments (VLANs), as controlling traffic between them is its purpose. 

Either way, thanks for clearing it out. The thread may be closed.