This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS refusing to resolve [dot]TV websites

Since Up2Date 9.304009, I've been unable to resolve ANY website that has a top level suffix of ".tv" (for example, Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre SoftwarePlayOn | Watch Free Online Movies, Shows, Live Sports on Your TV and More | PlayOn)

I'm using my UTM as DHCP & DNS server and have set OpenDNS as my external forwarders. Because I also have internal static entries, UTM is set as the prime and only DNS server on the network.

UTM will not even resolve .tv from itself:

DNS Lookup Result
Trying "www.kodi.tv"
Received 91 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53 in 0 ms
Trying "www.kodi.tv"
Host Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Received 91 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53 in 0 ms

Additionally: when I set the OpenDNS servers in DHCP, internal machines can get to .tv sites (of course this breaks static entries).

Is anyone else experiencing this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I experience the exact same issue with plex.tv... Upon searching the logs I came across an error regarding DNSSEC validation.

Turning this feature off in the 'DNS' page allowed me to resolve this domain.

NOTE: When using Google's DNS with DNSSEC validation turned on I had no issues, but using OpenDNS or Unblock-US i'd get no route to host.
  • I experience the exact same issue with plex.tv... Upon searching the logs I came across an error regarding DNSSEC validation.

Turning this feature off in the 'DNS' page allowed me to resolve this domain.

NOTE: When using Google's DNS with DNSSEC validation turned on I had no issues, but using OpenDNS or Unblock-US i'd get no route to host.

My DNSSEC was already disabled. I tried to enable it and use Google DNS (I also flushed DNS on the client and Sophos UTM) but the issue remains. For me the only workaround at the moment is to create a static DNS entry for plex.tv

Firmware version:  9.210-20 
    Pattern version:  71917 

Hopefully this problem will soon be resolved.

Regards,
    Didier
  • Hi guys,
    fisrt of all you need to read the DNSSEC warning on the UTM page before enabling that feature.

I am currently running 9.305-4 with DNSEC enabled and can access the kodi.tv page without an issue. Not sure about watching anything because my link is too small and is in use for another streaming video.

Ian
  • Same exact issue here. When using Web Protection all .tv domains have the following error:

An error occurred while handling your request

While trying to retrieve the URL:http://www.twitch.tv/
    The content could not be delivered due to the following condition: Host not found.

It does not matter which DNS servers you specify in Sophos, nor if you use DNSSEC or not.

Nslookup using the ISP, Google or internal DNS servers resolves the domain name without problem.

Turning off Web Filtering under Web Protection or adding static host mapping is the only workarounds.

Im using Firmware version: 9.306-6

Is there an fix for this ?
  • Ok, i found the solution in another thread:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/53/t/34375

and the solution is to not have static host entries with "tv" as hostname.

Even if hostnames should be fqdn's it really should not be able to completely block the resolver just because the hostname was named the same as a tld.

I did a small test and renamed the hostname to "com", and sure enough, all .com domains now received the same "Host not found" error.
    Not very enterprise'ish solution if you ask me. Maybe an adjustment of this "feature" would be in order ?
  • Ok, i found the solution in another thread:
    https://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/management-networking-logging-reporting/51728-dns-problem-tv.html

and the solution is to not have static host entries with "tv" as hostname.

Even if hostnames should be fqdn's it really should not be able to completely block the resolver just because the hostname was named the same as a tld.

I did a small test and renamed the hostname to "com", and sure enough, all .com domains now received the same "Host not found" error.
    Not very enterprise'ish solution if you ask me. Maybe an adjustment of this "feature" would be in order ?

This is indeed the solution. Thanks for your help
  • This is still an issue with 9.600

I have escalated it to the support team hopefully they will listen and doesn't affect any other TLD's, I've tried with .com and .uk all good so I not sure why .tv is any different.

Answer:

The issue is related to static DNS entry hostnames that end with "tv" for example I had a few called "sonytv" and "amazonfiretv".
    So it seems that any TLD domain of .tv is getting blocked because of this confusion.

I have renamed my static hostnames and everything is now ok.
  • This is still an issue with 9.600

I have escalated it to the support team hopefully they will listen and doesn't affect any other TLD's, I've tried with .com and .uk all good so I not sure why .tv is any different.

Answer:

The issue is related to static DNS entry hostnames that end with "tv" for example I had a few called "sonytv" and "amazonfiretv".
    So it seems that any TLD domain of .tv is getting blocked because of this confusion.

I have renamed my static hostnames and everything is now ok.
Children
No Data