This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS problem

Heelo,

We bought full astaro utm 9.1 appliances running on vmware. 

No DNS is configure because we don't want this. The utm is  only a gateway between a internal and external network so no DNS require.

The problem is that the UTM wants to contact root dns and maybe others servers (?!)  in DNS that i don't control !!!!! 

I want to control my network and the UTM must not contact servers that i didn't say !!!! 

How to stop the request on DNS root ? 

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The firewall needs DNS resolution (for updates, reporting, etc.); Set the DNS resolvers to whatever you want to use, in the DNS settings.

Barry
  • The firewall needs DNS resolution (for updates, reporting, etc.); Set the DNS resolvers to whatever you want to use, in the DNS settings.

Barry

The firewall is in internal network and not on internet. Moreover, i want to control what the utm do if i don't want that it don't use updates, reporting, it don't use !!!! i want to control my network !!! 

i set a dns resolvers with a fictive host but it search again in root dns ...

regards
  • The UTM uses bind for DNS, so what you are asking is pretty easy but you have to use the console. I had a feature request to turn the root servers off long time ago https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/112/t/71270.

Login via console or ssh and 
    joe /var/chroot-bind/etc/named.conf

look for the line that says
    forward first;

and change it to
    forward only;

Restart the DNS server by clicking flush resolver cache in webadmin or by
    /var/mdw/scripts/named restart

Now the DNS won't do a root lookup if the defined forwarders can't do name resolution.

If you have internet then you have a DNS server so point your UTM to that server in the forwarders, or you can give a fake address but remember that out of the box, even the most basic functionality like ntp relies of DNS to function correctly.
  • The UTM uses bind for DNS, so what you are asking is pretty easy but you have to use the console. I had a feature request to turn the root servers off long time ago https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/112/t/71270.

Login via console or ssh and 
    joe /var/chroot-bind/etc/named.conf

look for the line that says
    forward first;

and change it to
    forward only;

Restart the DNS server by clicking flush resolver cache in webadmin or by
    /var/mdw/scripts/named restart

Now the DNS won't do a root lookup if the defined forwarders can't do name resolution.

If you have internet then you have a DNS server so point your UTM to that server in the forwarders, or you can give a fake address but remember that out of the box, even the most basic functionality like ntp relies of DNS to function correctly.
Children
No Data