This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

mxtoolbox "may be an open relay"

Hi there,

i searched all the Topics and found multiple Questions but no answer.

I configured some Mailprotection today after we got massive spam. (SPF,DKIM, dmarc). RDNS, Hostname etc is ok.

The only left over warning is this one:

SMTP Server Disconnected: May be an open relay.

With that SMTP-Message:

Connecting to ************

220 ************ ESMTP ready. [797 ms]
EHLO PWS3.mxtoolbox.com
250-**************** Hello pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.134]
250-SIZE 104857600
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP [828 ms]
MAIL FROM:<supertool@mxtoolbox.com>
250 OK [828 ms]
RCPT TO:<test@example.com>

SendSMTPCommand: You hung up on us after we connected. Please whitelist us. (connection lost)

PWS3v2 6297ms

The Smtp-log by the UTM:

2016:02:01-18:05:38 remote exim-in[29901]: 2016-02-01 18:05:38 SMTP connection from [64.20.227.134]:60937 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)

2016:02:01-18:05:40 remote exim-in[5287]: 2016-02-01 18:05:40 H=pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.134]:60937 Warning: Exception matched: Skipping greylisting for this message
2016:02:01-18:05:40 remote exim-in[5287]: 2016-02-01 18:05:40 H=pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.134]:60937 Warning: Exception matched: Skipping antispam for this message
2016:02:01-18:05:40 remote exim-in[5287]: 2016-02-01 18:05:40 H=pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.134]:60937 F=<supertool@mxtoolbox.com> rejected RCPT <test@example.com>: Relay not permitted
2016:02:01-18:05:40 remote exim-in[5287]: 2016-02-01 18:05:40 SMTP connection from pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.134]:60937 closed by DROP in ACL
I totally whitelisted the mxtoolbox-ip So that can't be the reason.
Any Solution would be nice. Thank you

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • As I can see from the logs, your UTM is doing just what it is supposed to do...dropping relaying attempts.
    Are you only concerned about that mxtoolbox "May be an open relay" message ?
  • Yeah. I thought there have to be something like "relaying denied". So the Helo gets a clean quit.
  • Welllll, I haven't tried it, Doug, but...

First, at the bottom of the 'Antispam' tab, select 'strict RDNS'.  This requires FCrDNS, that is, the FQDN returned by rDNS must resolve to the IP of the sending MTA: 100.245.165.206.in-addr.arpa -> control.emailmarketing.com -> 206.165.245.100.

Next, create a Request Route that will cause failure of strict rDNS - the following prevents name resolution for all domains in the TLD tk:

To do the same for all FQDNs of emailmarketing.com, create a similar one for that domain.  Does that get you where you want to go?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Example 1 - It seems like that level of granularity could quickly become unmanageable, Doug.

Example 2 - I don't see false positives on SPF rejections, but such rejections are only about 0.3% of emails not delivered.  An interesting thing about all of the DKIM failures I saw was that they were all "[verification failed - body hash mismatch (body probably modified in transit)]" and that resulted in the report from ctasd (CommTouch AntiSpam Daemon) guiding the delivery, rejection or quarantining of the message.  The real advantage of DKIM is that successful verification proves the email absolutely came from the sending domain.

(In roughly the order the checks are applied) RDNS and RBL rejections block 85% of emails not delivered.  Then comes SPF.  About 2.5% of rejections are due to recipient verification. That means about 90% of the rejections are done during the EHLO, MAIL FROM and RCPT TO conversation before the body of the email is sent.

After the DATA command, 59% of the remaining emails that won't be delivered are rejected as "confirmed" spam and <1% because of malware.  40+% are quarantined with a ratio of about 3 false positives for every 2 false negatives.

Of the delivered emails, about 0.2% should have been rejected as spam - not bad!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Doug's Wish List #3...

Although some people whom I deeply respect, like BrucekConvergent, are proponents of greylisting, I'm not.  Rather than delay every inbound message by at least five minutes, I prefer to let RBLs, EHLO, strict RDNS and SPF do their stuff as explained above.  This catches 90% of unwanted traffic using an exchange of about 400 characters total between the two devices, several RBL lookups and three name server lookups.  The proxy can handle dozens of these simultaneously without breaking a sweat.  I would challenge you to find even 0.1% of spams blocked by greylisting that were not blocked by these pre-DATA checks.

If you do use greylisting, an Exception for known domains is easy to construct.

Again, I've not seen the problems you suggest with SPF.  Perhaps you could show us the lines from the SMTP log related to one such incorrect rejection.

"Graylist all non-TLS connections" - at present, greylisting occurs prior to EHLO, so that might be a bit of a challenge, but I like the idea and agree with your reasoning.  Interestingly, almost three years ago, the Bayerisches Landesamt für Datenschutzaufsicht (Bavarian State Office for Data Protection Supervision) required using encryption that included PFS.  The fines were really big, so Astaro got busy and made certain that our UTMs could send/receive with that before V9.3.  You have to have a commercial certificate, not the self-signed cert we normally use here in the USA.  So, you could require that by changing your cert, but there's no way to make an Exception except by adding entries to 'Skip TLS Negotiation Hosts/Nets' on the 'Advanced' tab.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I believe I tried Forward-Confirmed Reverse DNS a long while back, and my experience quickly confirmed what I had been led to expect -- that it would expose many legitimate sites where FCDNS did not resolve as expected.

At minimum, will UTM cope with a site where forward DNS returns a list, rather than a single value, and search for the original IP address anywhere in the list? 

I would be curious if others have used FcDNS successfully.

Two points for your creativity, but not a very appealing solution unless I become desparate.

• ON SPF:  As I said above, I have tried SPF twice, and had to rollback fairly quickly each time.  I had a bit of ironic fun when I had to tell Barracuda that their spam filter was blocking their support emails, because their support organization uses Salesforce.com (which sends email claiming to be from whichever client is using their platform)  but no one had updated the Barracuda SPF record to include Salesforce.com.  The other failures that I can remember included a vendor  with national presence and a significant local business partner.

I believe my experience will be representative.  In a big company, the email management group cannot reliably know all of the service bureaus that have been hired to send email under the company's name, so the SPF record is incomplete.

Given my bad experience, I am unwilling to turn it on and see what happens afterward.   I want to know, and create exceptions as needed, before breaking things.

• For the record, the way graylisting usually works is that a message is only graylisted if the user has not sent an email in the last 30 days.   The assumption is that 80% of  your important business communication will be graylisted once and perpetually exempt thereafter, and other business correspondents will only be graylisted occasionally.

One of my objections to UTM is that these parameters are not visible in the user interface.   My recollection is that support said UTM used a 15-minute delay which could not be altered.   To my mind, that was too long, and the first time it affected by CEO, he would be livid.   Of course, a verbal comment from a random UTM support person may or may not have been accurate, or I may be remembering incorrectly.   Since the parameters are not in the documentation, and not in the user interface, it is hard to know for sure.

My wife has a small business and we use a hosting service that implements graylisting.   I have memories of a critical email from Dell that was delayed five painful minutes as a result.   Naturally, this particular support person had never talked to me before, so he was tripped by the rule.  As far as I know, I lack any ability to configure graylisting exceptions in that particular system.

In Barracuda, a whitelist entry is not feature-specific -- if I whitelist a domain, everything claiming to be from that domain is exempted from everything except spam attachment filtering.  Since sender information can be forged, I hated the idea of whitelisting a domain simply because of SPF.   UTM has more flexible exception definition, which is really valuable.

My proposal about making graylisting strategies dependent on the encryption quality was based on a desire to avoid configuring a lot of exceptions, since the list of all important exceptions is hard to construct in advance.

• I only switched to FCrDNS within about the last year.  When I first tried it, probably over two or three years ago, there were too many unwanted rejections.  I don't think that that's the case anymore.  I just checked 50 rejections for "RDNS invalid" from the middle of the day yesterday - all were spammers. 

Yes, the Proxy handles multiple A records correctly in my experience.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • " My recollection is that support said UTM used a 15-minute delay " - No matching message is accepted before 5 minutes has elapsed.  The information (sender/sending IP/recipient) is kept for 30 days after the last confirmation, so that makes me think that the subject is not used after the temporarily-rejected email is received again although that's not stated explicitly anywhere I've seen.  For large organizations with many sending IPs and smaller ones that use services like outlook.com, there will be a lot of rejections of initial messages.  Again, greylisting doesn't stop anything that won't be quickly and cheaply stopped within a tenth of a second or so.

I like the idea of being able to do non-blocking tests to see what would happen.  You might want to vote for and comment on Allow logging of anti-spam feature results without blocking.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • "In a big company, the email management group cannot reliably know all of the service bureaus that have been hired to send email under the company's name, so the SPF record is incomplete."

If that's the case, the company should not use "-" in their SPF record.  "?" would be a better choice for them.  If a CEO asks the admin to get rid of the protection offered by SPF, I'm not concerned because, in all likelihood, other anti-spam checks will nail most all of the items that could have been blocked with SPF.

I'm glad we're having this discussion I found one incorrect rejection in our logs by doing the following command:

zgrep 'extra="SPF check failed"' /var/log/smtp/2017/04/*|grep -oP 'from=".*?"'|sort -n|uniq -c|sort -n|more

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • You are right.   If the source IP changes with almost every message, as it will with some of the larger email hosting services, graylisting will get ugly.  I will abandon hope for that approach. 

Reply Children
No Data