This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SMTP Spool mail in waiting state

I am running astaro 8.311 and I just started having issues email being delivered.  It was working for the last couple years so the rules should be set up correctly.  In Mail Security Mail Manager I see there is mail in the ‘Waiting for delivery (spooled)’ queue.  When I go to mail manager I notice in the ‘SMTP Spool’ that the mail is in a ‘Waiting’ state.  I have tried to select ‘retry’ on legitimate messages and then check the ‘SMTP Log’ but I don’t see it in the ‘SMTP Log’.  I have tried to search other posts to find something similar but I didn’t see anything so if this already covered please point me in the right direction.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • On one of the queued emails, select "View" and show us the first line. At the time marked on that line, go to the SMTP logfile to find the lines related to this message and retry attempt and show them.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Message Delivery Log:
    2014-05-11 08:30:50 ***xx@******.com R=static_route_hostlist T=static_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
  • I don't see the lines from the log file, but my first guess is a DNS problem.  Google site:astaro.org DNS best practice

If you adapt your situation to that, does your problem persist?

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses.  Posted from my iPhone.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Were you wanting the first line from one of the 'SMTP Spool' messages?  If so that is what I attached and here is another example.  If not which log should I be looking at?

I will look into the best practice as well.

Message Delivery Log:
    2014-05-11 08:15:20 ***xx@***xx.com R=static_route_hostlist T=static_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
  • Are you using an Exchange server? If yes, can you send mails internally?

If you use it, but can't send mails check the SMTP Connector/Database size etc. of your exchange server!

the new sophos board sucks... :-( please give us the old one back.

• I am seeing other threads where the problem is several Intrusion Prevention rules. Please check the Intrusion Prevention log. Anything there?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Rottler - It is an exchange server and yes I can send emails internally.  It seems to be just external email coming in.

So after playing around, I can select all the messages in the 'SMTP Spool' and select retry and a few of the messages will go through but the waiting messages will never go below 53.  So I am a little confused as to why when I would retry the message it will go and why it wont process the remaining 53?
  • Yes, but check the Intrusion Prevention log first. 

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I checked the IPS log and this is what I am getting:

2014:05:12-11:06:26 fw snort[17666]: id="2101" severity="warn" sys="SecureNet" sub="ips" name="Intrusion protection alert" action="drop" reason="SERVER-MAIL Metamail header length exploit attempt" group="500" srcip="192.168.***.***" dstip="192.168.***.***" proto="6" srcport="45931" dstport="25" sid="22114" class="Attempted Administrator Privilege Gain" priority="1" generator="1" msgid="0" 

The test email I sent is from a legitimate source so I am not sure why it would be tripping on the Administrator Privilege Gain.  I will be searching on this.