This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded my UTM to 9.100-16.
My mail server uses pop3 to fetch email and I configured pop3 proxy on my UTM.

Everything works fine for the accounts where port 110 (standard pop3) is used.

But for Gmail accounts, secured POP3 (port 995) the log on my client says;

2013-05-15 10:39:48   Error while opening POP3 connection to 'pop.gmail.com' (User:emailaddress@gmail.com): Error connecting with SSL.  Error connecting with SSL.  error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

And the UTM live log says; SSL Error: 0x1408a0c1d (error:1408A0C1:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher)

For now I have switched off the pop3 proxy, my server gets the mail now through the firewall, instead of through the proxy and mail is comming in again, although it's not filtered anymore.

Does anyone have an idea? Or is it just a bug in the new version of UTM?

Thanks!
With regards,
Erwin ter Hofstede

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Same problem here - using a connector for MS-Exchange.  I put in an exception for the Exchange server.  Kept the encryption, lost the protection.

From POP3 proxy:
    2013:05:15-09:28:12 webmail pop3proxy[12293]: Fatal: Failed to accept SSL client
    2013:05:15-09:28:12 webmail pop3proxy[12293]: SSL Error: 0x1408f10bd (error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number)
  • Guys, there's another thread from Wingman about this.  https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/56/t/49433

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Balfson this is a completely different issue. This is something that started since upgrading to 9.100-16

So far, the only solution that I have found to work is to disable POP3 proxy.
  • Hi
    I am having exactly the same issue with Gmail, and other accounts that use secure POP3 since the 9.100-16 upgrade. I am not using Exchange just Outlook clients on a home network. Is there a solution yet?
  • Hi,

also same problem here!
    the only solution is to disable pop3 proxy or you put the clients on port 110 instead of 995 [;)]
  • Is it me or the turn around on bugs was faster before Sophos?
  • I think this time it's faster.  The company where Goldy and gilipeled work is a big Astaro customer, so they got some special attention this time and several serious bugs were resolved within a day.  There's room for improvement, though.  I've been pushing Astaro for over two years to do limited GA releases with selected customers to flush out bugs.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • FYI, problem persists with release 9.101-12.  There's no claim it was fixed, but saw SMTP changes and got optimistic.
  • Please wait until 9.102 and check [:)]
  • I also am having the same issues with POP/SMTP to gmail and hotmail. As far as I know, gmail and hotmail REQUIRE SSL/TLS for email so there is no workaround except to turn off POP/SMTP email protection. 

My error on the UTM:
    2013:06:05-19:15:40 firewall pop3proxy[15581]: Fatal: Failed to accept SSL client
    2013:06:05-19:15:40 firewall pop3proxy[15581]: SSL Error: 0x1408a0c1d (error:1408A0C1:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher)

My version:

Firmware version: 9.101-12
    Pattern version: 46376
    Last check: 3 minutes ago

When will 9.102 be released?

EddieRock