This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[solved]Email footer question

Way to do some of the emails leaving our system have the footer "This email was Anti Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway.www.astaro.com" and some do not

BTW I am using SMTP in transparent mode.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I was wondering why sometimes it is added as a txt attachment? other times as a footer.
  • I beleive it might have something to do with the message format ( plain text, html etc )

When we send Ifaxes ( which is just a tiff or PDF file ) it creates a txt attachment> I gess because there really isnt a message body format.
  • Can we get some clarification on this please Mods?
  • HTML = attachment
    Plain text = footer

At least, that's what happens here.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yes that seems to be the answer, it is a bit annoying having an attachment added to every html email, but I suppose there isn't really a better way of doing it.
  • The problem with adding footers is that you need to harmonize the charsets used in the message text and the footer. Our footers are in UTF8, which is not (always) downgradeable to a narrower national charset, so we need to upgrade the message content to UTF8 if we want to attach the footer as text. This has a number of drawbacks (nukes crypto signatures, may not display correctly on some stone-age user agents ...), so we have the following strategy at the moment:

• Non-MIME message: Upgrade to single-part MIME message, using UTF8 as charset (assume charset is 7-bit originally). Append footer as text, separated with a "-- " line.

• Single-Part message: Upgrade whole message to UTF8. Append footer as text, separated with a "-- " line.

• Multipart-Mixed messages: Add footer as an individual MIME part, using UTF8 as charset (no charset conversions, other parts keep their encodings).

• Multipart-Alternative messages: Add top-level multipart-mixed container, having the original multipart-alternative as first part, and the footer as second part (again, no charset conversions).

We recognize that people want more control over this, so we'll make this configurable in a future feature upgrade.

• We recognize that people want more control over this, so we'll make this configurable in a future feature upgrade.

VERY nice to read this indeed [:)]
  • To also answer the initial question, footers are not added to messages which are replies (meaning they have References or In-Reply-To headers).
  • thanks for the clarification Tom. [:)]