This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

additional Mail Addresses

Hello, everyone,

I’m having now  a Sophos SG230 in operation. However, I’m having still few questions:

Some users have several e-mail addresses with us.

givenname.surname@domain.com
surname.givenname@domain.com
Dr.surname.givenname@domain.com

I have noticed that from time to time a mail from Dr.surname.givenname@domain.com ends up in the quarantine report.
For additional email addresses, all email addresses are entered (comes through AD authentication) However, as soon as the user logs in, the optional email address dr.surname.givenname@domain.com disappears from the Webadmin Portal Additional Emailaddress. 
After a prefetch, the e-mail address can be found again under Additional Mail Address.
Is anyone aware of this problem?

to better understand what I'm mean, I'll put in some more pictures.

Additional Mail Adresse in Exchange

After Prefetch in UTM Admin Portal

Mail in Mailmanager

Login in User Portal, I and the User cannot see this Mail

now I looked in the user portal and could determine that dr.surname.givenname is no longer deposited under User/Groups.

after a manual prefetch I can see the additional mail address again

Where is the Problem?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Looks to me like you have found a bug.    Suggest you open a case with Sophos Support. 

Unfortunately, bug fixes take a long time.   To avoid the problem while you are waiting, I suggest disabling any recipient verification.

With recipient verification disabled, UTM will apply all of its filtering first, before trying to deliver the message.   Known spammers should be blocked with a generic reject message instead of an invalid-recipient message.   This is good because it hinders directory harvesting.   

When your UTM gets an invalid-recipient result from your mail server, I think that result will still be passed back to the originator, so legitimate senders should still get the information they need for cleaning up mailing lists.   

I am currently running with verification on, but have wondered if I should turn it off, on the basis of this logic.   As a result, I have no certainty about how UTM handles recipient errors during delivery to the mail server.

• First, Patrick, that the quarantined email shows up in the report indicates that things are working correctly with additional addresses and that the SMTP Proxy calculates that the email is spam.  To conclude that it is incorrectly not listed in the User Portal, you would need to search on the 'Mail Log' tab for [News] Christmas gift to confirm that it was not released.

In any case, I agree with Doug that the disappearance of the additional address from the User object is an issue that urgently needs to be examined by Sophos Support.  This may not be a general bug, you might need to reload from ISO and restore from backup.  If this wasn't happening before and just recently started, there's another approach I would suggest.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello, if I search with the respective user I find unfortunately no Mail with the subject in question. It can't be released yet, because I can still see the mail under the Mail Manager in the Admin Portal. I also noticed that I only see 2 different mail addresses at the user under "Mail Log", but not the dr.surname.givenname@domain.com Yours sincerely Patrick
  • Is this a new phenomenon, Patrick, or have you always had this problem with the UTM?  If it's a new problem, show us the result of the version command and tell us when this problem began.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The problem has existed since I started using Sophos, but only the user noticed it.

And I've noticed the same with every other user.

I noticed that at least the first 3 letters of the mail address must be the same as the user's first name or last name, Bob.

Cheers Patrick

• So, unfortunately, it's either a general bug that I've not seen reported before or, more likely, you will need to reload from ISO.  Please let us know what Sophos Support has you do.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I have not yet reported it to Sophos support, as I only have standard support at Sophos.
    I would therefore need to create a support ticket through my vendor.
    However, I thought that you could help me in the community.

Cheers Patrick