This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

9.500 Slow to fully boot with UTM SG 105 / SG 115 / SG 125 / 135 since 9.5xx

Hi all,

We are having issues with our UTM SG 105, SG 115, and SG 125 (we don't have a 135, but I assume its the same)

All take 5 minutes to active accept network connections. It will show the logon screen on the terminal but it is about 3 to 5 minutes before it is pingable.

I can confirm that these have all been freshly build with the latest 9.5 ISO.

9.4 did not have this issue.

We have some Sophos SG 210 and 430 these don't seem to have this issue, they boot up and accept connections within a normal time frame. Is there an issue with an onboard intel chip or something else?

If I can logon to the terminal, what command should I run to see whats going on?

This also occurs with the latest 9.502 release. All 9.5 relases to date are having this issue.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have a SG125w which is running on an (little bit older) 9.5 beta (9.470-14) and the boot also takes about 5 minutes here.
    My UTM has some IPv6 patches made by Sophos, which aren't included in the latest stable release yet so no update yet :)

When I receive a mail notification that the system was rebooted, that time is probably also the "first" time that the device is reachable. Like it is waiting for network link untill every other service is started. I can't really remember if the boottimes with 9.4.x or 9.3.x where faster, so I never really looked into that.

On the other hand I'm hardly rebooting the UTM anyway. Normally only with firmware updates.
    The most reboots are currently done by the Sophos engineer.

• We have tested it, we went from 9.4 and it boots up within 30 seconds of the logon screen and accepts network traffic. All 9.5 it goes slow as anyting, about 5 long minutes.

It appears to be waiting for something.

While we don't reboot all the time, in the event we need to power cycle or restart the UTM, I don't want to be delayed by 5 minutes. This is unacceptable.

• I use hardware form a third party but there same problem, takes 8 minutes to boot.

On a virtual server (vmware) it seems to go faster, about 2 a 3 minutes.

I hope they solve this problem because 8 minutes for booting is to long.

• Same here.

Installed a brand new SG125 yesterday. After booting up it takes 7 Minutes until I can ping the device.

It runs v9.502-4.

• Another 9.5 bug uncovered.  Everyone, please submit a support request to Sophos.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I have tried and they want to do a remote session LOL - not sure how they can get into it when they can't access it while it's booting.

He said he tried to replicate it in the lab and didn't see it - if his lab is not a physical device (and he is using a lab virtual machine) of course he won't see it.

• There are things called logs.

Not the woody type, the text type. Believe it or not but they may contain relevant information.

• Always this same problem in sophos ASG 120 around 10 minutes for ping 

• Hi all,

Just an update, Sophos were testing on a SG 2xx series device. it is only the lower models that present this issue which I have told them now.

Also he asked for my to see if I can logon to the console and do a top command.

It appears that OpenSSL is bouncing up and down from 5% to 15% CPU during the period when I can't connect. As soon as openssl stops bouncing everything comes alive instantly.

I have sent Sophos a screen shot and hopefully they can proceed further.