This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I Up2Date with an Essentials license?

I've installed the latest Sophos UTM 9 (9.412-2) on a VM and I've installed the free "essentials" license. The license itself is working fine, but there's a strange thing when I'm looking at the Up2Date panel.

In the Up2Date panel, if I go to the Configuration tab, I can pick an update interval for the AV patterns, but not the firmware itself (due to licensing, apparently). This is... pretty odd. I can't really USE the AV patterns with the licensing as it is (Web Protection is disabled in this license). On the other hand, if there are any issues in the firmware, I'd definitely like to update. In fact, given the license, I can probably do that manually - download the new firmware (if and when it becomes available), backup the configuration, install the new firmware from scratch and, finaly, restore the UTM settings.

So, what's going on here? Is the essentials license really that limited that it doesn't allow updating the UTM? Or is there a bug swapping the AV and FW update configuration around?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Mateusz, you can download the Up2Date files to a PC and then upload them in WebAdmin.

If you're comfortable at the command line, you can run the following as root and then install in WebAdmin just as above (the example is for updating 9.412 to 9.413):

cd /var/up2date/sys
    wget http://ftp.astaro.com/pub/UTM/v9/up2date/u2d-sys-9.412002-413004.tgz.gpg
    sbin/auisys.plx --showdesc

Cheers - Bob
    PS I changed the title of your thread so that others might find this answer more easily.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Mateusz, you can download the Up2Date files to a PC and then upload them in WebAdmin.

If you're comfortable at the command line, you can run the following as root and then install in WebAdmin just as above (the example is for updating 9.412 to 9.413):

cd /var/up2date/sys
    wget http://ftp.astaro.com/pub/UTM/v9/up2date/u2d-sys-9.412002-413004.tgz.gpg
    sbin/auisys.plx --showdesc

Cheers - Bob
    PS I changed the title of your thread so that others might find this answer more easily.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Hi!

Thanks for the response. This answers the question of HOW to update with the basic license, but... does this really mean the essentials license doesn't allow automatic checking / downloading of updates?

• Correct, that is one of the limitations on the license.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't mind manually updating - especially since we also own a hardware Sophos UTM with a full licencse, so I'll know when updates are available from there. ;)

Still... It's a werid limitation, to be perfectly honest.

• So few of the Up2Dates touch anything in the Essentials license that I think Up2Dating is rare.  Now that I think about this, your idea to get config backups and re-image with a new ISO is probably the easiest way to go.  That only takes ten minutes of downtime a few times a year and a lot less of the admin's time!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA