This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mobile 4G Office in a Box

Thought I'd share our Mobile 4G Office in a Box setup we use for regional Australia touring.

This is a Mark I setup with the case and we'll probably look to move it into a Pelican case for Mark II.

Gear list:
RED 10
AP 10
Dovado Tiny
Telstra 4G modem (Sierra / Netcomm 320U)

Due to the lack of 4G modem support on the UTM & RED at the moment, we've used a Dovado Tiny router to connect the 4G modem as an ethernet device. The WiFi on the Dovado is disabled and the antenna removed (it just unscrews).

Staff just open the case and remove the board with everything mounted.
They connect the powerboard to a power source, plug in the 4G modem and extend the cable with modem away from AP 10 to minimize interference.

Worked flawlessly for the 6 weeks of the tour.

Things to do:

• Mark II roadcase - just remove the lid?
  • SOPHOS - 4G modem compat. Remove requirement for Dovado
  • SOPHOS - RED survivability. RED provides internet if no connection to UTM
  • Redundant path home - We have multiple UTM sites. Need to configure things that the RED can try a different path into the Corporate network.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Damien,
    thanks for sharing!
    That's a really cool idea for a mobile office [H]
    The only negative concern i have about it: If the box got stolen, you need someone in the office who will disable the RED access immediately [:D]
    Regards, Karsten
  • Hi,

KKnecht, theft and network security is a valid concern. We'll probably make use of the kensington lock slots or something to faster the equipment to the case.
    We'd then have a locking loop on the case where staff lock it to a fixed object in the location.

BarryG, In my testing I had the kit sitting for a few days with no connectivity drops. I also didn't get any reports of problems from the road.
    I use a bigger Dovado router at another office (awaiting a fibre connection) with a 4G modem and it's been running for over 30 days. They seem to be the best thing on the market.

BAlfson, yes I could have used a modem on the supported list but would have been stuck with 3G speeds which means poor upload speeds.
    We were trying to give these 6 staff a quality connection back to the office. 3G is fine for one person but doesn't cut the mustard for more.

As there is lack of support for the Direct IP method that LTE modems use we can't use modems like the Sierra 320u.
    Direct IP support for Netgear AirCard 320U and other LTE modems

It would just be great to hear from the Sophos team if this is even on the roadmap.

The ultimate solution would be a RED box with built in WiFi and fixed LTE modem support. A true one box solution (+ the dongle).

Sophos, you have my number. We'll beta test.

Damien
  • As there is lack of support for the Direct IP method that LTE modems use we can't use modems like the Sierra 320u.

It would just be great to hear from the Sophos team if this is even on the roadmap.

The ultimate solution would be a RED box with built in WiFi and fixed LTE modem support. A true one box solution (+ the dongle).

Damien

Hi, I'm the guy who posted that, thanks for sharing it around [:)]

I posted it because where I live the broadband situation is shocking - people two doors down can get ADSL2+ from the top hatted RIM near the shops, but from there back to the main road it's 5+km of copper to the exchange, and a max speed of ~2.2mbps down, so bad that Telstra don't even include us on the maps any more so if we were to try to get it today we wouldn't even be considered - so my boss lent me a 320U on their shared data group to use so long as I didn't beat the crap out of it.  I tried to use it with my UTM and that was the result I got.

Several software updates and over a year later, we still can't get 4G working, and it still tries to use PPP.

EDIT: That is a mighty fine setup you've got going there.  My workplace had something similar, except we used a shipping container and a 3G Router on Telstra's corporate IPWAN, and stocked it with a multifunction printer, two computers, an air conditioner, microwave oven and a fridge.
  • As there is lack of support for the Direct IP method that LTE modems use we can't use modems like the Sierra 320u.

Damien

Hi, I'm the guy who posted that, thanks for sharing it around [:)]

I posted it because where I live the broadband situation is shocking - people two doors down can get ADSL2+ from the top hatted RIM near the shops, but from there back to the main road it's 5+km of copper to the exchange, and a max speed of ~2.2mbps down, so bad that Telstra don't even include us on the maps any more so if we were to try to get it today we wouldn't even be considered - so my boss lent me a 320U on their shared data group to use so long as I didn't beat the crap out of it.  I tried to use it with my UTM and that was the result I got.

Several software updates and over a year later, we still can't get 4G working, and it still tries to use PPP.

EDIT: That is a mighty fine setup you've got going there.  My workplace had something similar, except we used a shipping container and a 3G Router on Telstra's corporate IPWAN, and stocked it with a multifunction printer, two computers, an air conditioner, microwave oven and a fridge.
Children
No Data