This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Interface eth0 hangs

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not but since last update to 9.205-12 I'm having some problems with the eth0 interface that keeps resetting and I loose all lan connections including the two AP30 that are connected to this interface. I will attach the kernel log to help checking the error messages and I would like to have some support from you guys.

My UTM version 9.205-12
Motherboard Intel DQ77KB 

Thanks.[:@]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Well,
    I found some identical issues on the forums about the adapter e1000 resetting and it seems this issue has not been solved by Sophos. It seems that using this command "ethtool -K eth0 gso off gro off" the problem should be temporarily fixed at least until the next reboot.
  • Well,
    I found some identical issues on the forums about the adapter e1000 resetting and it seems this issue has not been solved by Sophos. It seems that using this command "ethtool -K eth0 gso off gro off" the problem should be temporarily fixed at least until the next reboot.

Well.. i know it's not a solution, but i have "downgraded" my firewall to run 9.113-1 until a fix is released.. so far it has been quite a few month since the problem was first discovered, so it seems as if this has a very low priority by Sophos
  • It seems like their maybe a fix for this in 9.206? not sure if it relates....

ID32378 9.204 Reset Adapter and Hardware unit hang after update to v9.204 for intel ethernet controller 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description:
    Workaround:
    Fixed in:     9.206
  • I hope that fixes are released "asap".

I've used this command "ethtool -K eth0 gso off gro off" but unfortunately my adapter keeps resetting, it seems the problem its not the same and I don't know what to do at the moment!!
  • I hope that fixes are released "asap".

I've used this command "ethtool -K eth0 gso off gro off" but unfortunately my adapter keeps resetting, it seems the problem its not the same and I don't know what to do at the moment!!

Hi, what do you see in the system log?

Barry
  • Hi, what do you see in the system log?

Barry

Hi Barry,

I was looking to the system log and haven't found nothing strange, I've attached the file, see if you can find anything unusual.
    system-2014-08-19.zip
  • It seems like their maybe a fix for this in 9.206? not sure if it relates....

ID32378 9.204 Reset Adapter and Hardware unit hang after update to v9.204 for intel ethernet controller 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description:
    Workaround:
    Fixed in:     9.206

Does anyone know if this does actually address and fix the e1000e bug? 

It would be nice to know beforehand instead of wasting time updating only to find out I have to reinstall 9.1x [:)]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sophos UTM 9.718-5 - Home User
    Virtual machine on Dell Optiplex 3070
    i3-9100 @ 3.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• 9.206 should resolve the issue when it is released.  They've fixed the e1000e driver issues (as best I can tell) in the 9.11x releases via kernel / driver fixes, udev changes, just has taken them a while to port those fixes to 9.2xx I guess.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I hope they release this 9.206 fix very soon because when my eth0 is with some heavy load the adapter is always reseting and I've found some downloaded files with checksum errors since this problem started!!
  • Hi Barry,

I was looking to the system log and haven't found nothing strange, I've attached the file, see if you can find anything unusual.

Hi,

Sorry, I should have said "kernel log"... look for 'reset' or 'hang' in the kernel log.

Barry