This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VMware Nic Order

Hi All
I'm having a problem with having a number of Astaro images on a VMWare box that is fitted with 6 nic's. 2x Intel 82578DM Onboard and 1x I350 4 port adapter.
In the VMware Console it shows on the right hand side the state of the ports and all is right. (see nic.jpg)
If I go into Astaro Instances in VMWare you will see (pic Astari Instance 1) the port relationship. (Both instances have the same mappings).

Port 1 on the I350 (vmnic1) vSwitch1/Port 1 (VMWare) Mapped to Network Adapter 2 (Eth1)=Network Label Port 1 (VMWare Instance) = External Wan Interface (DHCP).

Yet in Astaro on Instance 1. Eth2 is connected to the vSwitch1, Where it should be connected to VSwitch 2 and all the other Ports are scrambled.

On Astaro Instance 2 I'm unable to log in as the ports are different again.

If I have the two onborad nics plus one other (so three in total all is fine) after three nics I am unable to align the ports across from Vmware to Astaro.
Should I be manually setting the Mac addresses in some order?
Currently running 9.001-18

Any thoughts.

Mark

Does any

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, I'm not sure this will solve your problems, but NIC ordering can be overridden with udev rules; see
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27549

Barry
  • If this is V9 you're talking about, I've noted that, for some reason, the NICs are placed in an order that does not coincide with the progression of the MAC addresses assigned to them... probably a bug.  If you use the old procedure to re-sort NICs that worked on direct hardware installations, you'll see your work undone after every reboot if you try it on V9 running on VMware, so check out the steps below.  Be aware that what I list below as a workaround / fix may void your Support with Sophos (if you have a commercial license) so get the blessing of Support before you do this, if that is the case -- TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES AS TO THE SUITABILITY OR STABILITY OF THIS FIX:

What I do to workaround it for my demo / lab instances is:
    1)  Setup the VM (I install from scratch, no pre-built appliances for me)
    2) Make sure I've configured all the VNICS I'm going to need on this VM
    3) Log into the console as root
    4) cd /etc/udev/rules.d
    5) mkdir bak
    6) mv 72-vmware-net.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/bak/
    7) cp 70-persistent-net.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/bak/
    8) vi 70-persistent-net.rules
    9) Edit the file to reorder the NICs as I see fit, save changes.
    10) reboot

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Thank you Guys
    I believe this is exactly what I'm after.
    Just rebuilding Vm instances now, and will test out.
    This really must annoy a lot of people.

Mark
  • This works Thanks

4) cd /etc/udev/rules.d
    5) mkdir bak
    10) reboot 

Make sure that the mac address is in lower case, otherwise it will ignore it.

Mark
  • This works Thanks

4) cd /etc/udev/rules.d
    5) mkdir bak
    10) reboot 

Make sure that the mac address is in lower case, otherwise it will ignore it.

Mark
Children
  • The NIC order was different on two identical build HP DL380s .... because - as 3rd Line support clarified - NIC order is determined by MAC address!!!! 

And above workaround using 70-persistent-net.rules was the way we went so we could get HA working.  

Also using "ethtool -b eth0/1/etc.  to blink the LED on each NIC was also very useful from "Useful Shell Commands" thread.