This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Non-ASG install on ASG hardware"

Hi,

I've been using ASG 7.402 on a Rel 1 ASG 110 with a home-use 10-IP license for several months.  The unit was originally on ASL 6.x prior to the upgrade, until a BB member suggested I apply 7.x by simply installing the Software Appliance on the ASG.  This worked great, but unfortunately the ASG unit I had bought (used from eBay) could not be upgraded to 1GB RAM, so space was a little tight.  I bought another used 110, this time ensuring it was Rel 3 hardware and therefore memory upgradable.  I successfully upgraded the RAM, and was looking forward to swapping this more powerful unit out for my original.

On running the 7.402 install (or the 7.450 beta) for the Software Appliance as I had done on my old unit, I got a "Non-ASG install on ASG hardware" message, and was not able to continue.  I would try the SSI install, but I don't think a home license works with hardware appliances.  What puzzles me is that the Software Appliance install worked fine on the Rel 1 ASG 110 hardware, but fails with this message on a Rel 3 ASG 110.  I don't quite understand why I'm not allowed to install the Software Appliance in this way.  I'd much rather be running it on Astaro hardware, because it's small, wall-mountable, and robust.  I guess I could buy a PC instead and run it on there, but I opted for Astaro hardware because of the build quality, form factor, wall mount, and minimalism (i.e. no mouse, extra hardware irrelevant for a gateway, etc.).

Anyone know why it's considered a no-no to run the ASG Software Appliance with a home license on ASG hardware, but OK to run the same thing on a PC?  If this is simply not allowed, then I'll be waving a sad farewell to my ASG hardware and running it on a PC instead.  It would be really nice if the home license also applied to the hardware appliances, as I'd keep buying and upgrading them if so.

Any insight much appreciated - thanks.

MarCow.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Some people here have said you need to erase the hard disk first, or at least the partition tables... Try DBAN or similar.

Barry
  • Thanks for the rapid response - I'll give DBAN a go.
  • Yes - that did the trick and I'm now up and running on the newer unit.  Many thanks.
  • just for the notes: you only have to delete the /etc/asg file. that's enough. much faster than erasing the hdd! [;)]

regards,
    mario
  • Deleting /etc/asg did not work for me.

After deleting (or renaming) /etc/asg i was able to install a home license but after a reboot the device (ASG220 rev.1) gives no response via LAN.

Looking via tty shows that eth0 was not receiving or sending any packet and
    eth1 (external) now has a IP from internal LAN (via DHCP).

After restoring /etc/asg everything was normal.

Doing a factory reset,  deleting /etc/asg (via tty) and doing a reboot the ASG220 also became inaccessible.

Same effect with SSI-7.30x ans SSI-7.403 fresh install.

Sophos Certified Architect (UTM + XG)

• Hi, if you wish to use a home-user license, you need to install with the 'software' version of Astaro, not the appliance version. Please check which you downloaded.

The NICs might get switched around from how they are labeled; try switching the cables.

Barry
  • On ASG220 rev.1 there are only serial ports.
    With hyperterminal i can watch the device boot and then nothing happens until the asg software is up.

There is no way to do an ASG software install, only the "blind" way [:(] with an usb keyboard.

• @Barry: Yes, the problem is the renaming of interfaces in asg220.

After some investigation i found the cause:

There is a procedure named "initasg" (the difference between the ssi* and asg* ) to assign the correct names to the interfaces. After deleting /etc/asg initasg wont work correct anymore.

The following works for me:

1. Install ASG220 with ssi-7.402-090423-1.iso
    2. rm /etc/lcd.conf  (Link to /etc/asg for lcd4linux)
    3. mv /etc/asg /etc/lcd.conf (because i like the lcd-information)
    4. Change in /etc/init.d/initasg the line 34
        ASG_HW_FILE="/etc/asg" to
        ASG_HW_FILE="/etc/lcd.conf"
    5. Install HomeLicense via WebAdmin

This should work until ep-asg-7.4-33.i686.rpm is overwritten by an update.

• Interesting. Most people just re-label the ports, but I'm not sure if the LCD would be supported by the 'software' version of Astaro.

BTW, it is possible to get a VGA cable that plugs into the motherboard of most of the Astaro appliances. I think you'll need to get it from a reseller or make it yourself.

Barry