This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Preferred master option during up2date

Dear experts.. Should we disable preferred master to none before update on ha pair?? Will update gets successful even I select node 1 master under preferred master section??

As the update will performed on slave mode first after while it is taking over as active.. Will this preferred node setting hampers anything??

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Dear Sai,

I don’t expect any difficulty because of a preferred master. After update has completed on both nodes the preferred master will take over again.

But more interesting to me, for what reason do you use preferred master selection?

Best regards

Alex

-

• Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for your response. I have to set node 1 master as I am replacing slave and then have to perform update in a single change window.I have got this query because during  automatic step of slave(node 2) upgrade and reboot and then takeover as active, if this preferred master is set as node 1 it might prevent this takeover to standby

So the device which has highest version will be master irrespective of preferred master settings right???

Thank you very much

Sai

• Yes, highest version is always Master in a healthy situation.

Preferred master: Here you can define a designated master node by selecting a node from the drop-down list. In case of a failover, the selected node will not stay in Slave mode after the link recovers but instead will switch back to Master mode.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Hello Sai,

for replacing a node, especially the slave, why you need a maintenance window? While the node is in slave mode, shut it down, do the replacement and start the new node.

There shouldn’t be any disruption because all traffic is handled by the master node.

Maybe I didn’t get the problem right.

Best regards

Alex

-

• Hallo Sai and welcome to the UTM Community!

Alex' question about why you want a Preferred Master is important.  If both devices are identical in power, I would not recommend preferring one over the other.

As Alex explained, it is possible to do what you want without any loss of service.  Still, I would do this in a maintenance window just in case something goes wrong with the Master while you're replacing the slave.  Your time to bring the Slave back to READY after the Master syncs to it will depend on the power of your hardware, but that's probably under 10 minutes.

As Toni's comment implies, do not try to replace the Slave with one that has a newer version of UTM loaded.   Remember that you must not do any configuration of the replacement after it is imaged from a UTM ISO.  Power it off and connect all of the Ethernet cables.  Power it on and wait for the good news! ;-)

Please share your results back here.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Balfson,

Thanks a lot for your response. I am still waiting for the maintenance window. Will let you know update. I do have many healthy pairs upgrades in queue

As per the above responses,I understood Preferred master enabled(my case it is set to node 1) will make no issue during up2date of 2 identical boxes(same version/same hardware and revision). But still will change to none(at present set to node1) as you said and will perform update installation.

Regards

Sai