This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SG135 with Intel X553 doesn't support half duplex mode?

Hi all

We have recently purchased a SG135 to replace an aging UTM 120 but are having issues connecting it to our incoming modem.  The modem (supplied by the ISP) uses 100base T/Half and it appears the SG135 does not have this mode.

Can anyone else with an SG box and this model NIC please confirm if theirs supports half duplex.

Thanks very much.

Simon

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Simon,

Have you edited the NIC and unselected 'Auto negotiation'?  I just checked two clients with 135.r1 and 100/Half is available on both.   Which rev of SG 135 do you have?  You can see that with the following at the command line: version|grep Hardware

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob,

Yes, we unselected Auto Negotiation and the only options were all Full Duplex.  Sophos support have since confirmed that this particular NIC (Intel X553) doesn't support half duplex.  We have a 135 rev 3.

We have solved by putting a small 4 port unmanaged switch between the modem and UTM.

Cheers

Simon

• You may need to use a cross-over (never thought I would say this beyond 2001) cable for this older NIC.

seems people in the past had issues with this, and had odd results.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Thanks, however we had tried a crossover cable and it didn't work either.

• I am curious why you would need to set the interface at half duplex, I thought that went out with the ark (so to speak)?

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Believe it or not but the ISP supplied router is set to half duplex and we can't convince them to change it!