This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using Onboard ethernet and PCI Express NIC

Hey all, 

Sorry in advance if I did not put this in the right subthread I am very new to this site. I am going to build a Mini-ITX based machine to run Sophos UTM, I would like to know if I can use the onboard ethernet for my WAN and then a secondary PCI express NIC for my LAN connections? I have a single port PCI NIC card that I can connect with a switch to provide additonal ports if needed, however I just plan to plug an AP into my LAN. I will be using an Intel Single Port PCI Card.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Yes you can use the onboard NIC.
    During setup, sophos will detect the Ethernet Cards and it is your choice to determinate who will be WAN and LAN.
    You can add more NIC if you have free PCI Slot to extend your internal network. Or if you have only 2, you can configure your internal network with VLAN's.

But remember the setup must detects all ethernet adapters, because some hardware are not recognized. 

• Hi Hayden and welcome to the UTM Community!

When you do the initial load from ISO, you will need to have both NICs in place.  Otherwise, you're faced with a backup-re-install-restore scenario when you add the new NIC.

Cheers -  Bob
    PS Yes, moving this to the hardware forum.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA