This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Virgin Media and UTM - no internet

Hi,

I've got a customer who has Virgin Media Superfast connection using their Superhub 3 router. I've switched this to modem mode, plugged in a laptop and can access the internet absolutely fine. If I connect the SG125 UTM, eth1 and set it as ethernet connection with a dynamic IP, the link/connection shows UP, I get a dynamic IP but cant access anything on the internet, cant even ping 8.8.8.8.

I've set many UTMs so have done the basics of masq rule, dns and know this isnt a simple fix.

So to cut a long story short, it seems other people have the same issue when using Cisco routers with Virgin. The solution is to clear the broadcast flag on the NIC that connects to the Virgin Media router with this command

"ip dhcp client broadcast-flag clear"

or disable broadcast flag on the NIC

My question is, how can this be done on the UTM, if it can? I've done some googling and trawling through these forums but not found anything

Many thanks in advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • i have a 200MB VM service, and I had the same issue with 9.412-2.  I fixed it by factory-resetting the SuperHub 3 and putting it back in modem mode afterwards, although I think the that the issue is with the ISP's DHCP allocation. cloning the laptop's MAC address to the UTM external interface doesn't seem to help, so i wonder if passage of time is sufficient to make this go away.

I have had issues with VM's DHCP service in the past - i demonstrated to them that the service was at fault (it would issue an address to my CM, but only if i gave it a false MAC address), and they changed my modem to make it go away rather than fix the root cause.  

• i have a 200MB VM service, and I had the same issue with 9.412-2.  I fixed it by factory-resetting the SuperHub 3 and putting it back in modem mode afterwards, although I think the that the issue is with the ISP's DHCP allocation. cloning the laptop's MAC address to the UTM external interface doesn't seem to help, so i wonder if passage of time is sufficient to make this go away.

I have had issues with VM's DHCP service in the past - i demonstrated to them that the service was at fault (it would issue an address to my CM, but only if i gave it a false MAC address), and they changed my modem to make it go away rather than fix the root cause.  

Children
No Data