This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

confd.plx high cpu usage

Hi,

After a fresh test install (on a KVM guest) I notice that the confd.plx is quite often 99/100% beeing utilized, even while there is only a low amount of traffic.
How can be investigated why/how it is using so much ?

The VM itself is running with 2 allocated cpu's (4-core amd cpu).

In top:

[FONT="Courier New"]PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S   %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
28595 root      20   0 47816  31m 1928 R     99  1.0 165:02.93 confd.plx
 4803 root      20   0 21700 3596 1704 S      4  0.1  40:11.81 ctipd.bin
 3645 root      20   0 11768 9672 2312 S      0  0.3   3:02.59 selfmonng.plx[/FONT]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, and welcome  the User BB!

Has this calmed down yet?  If not, what about the Cpu(s) line of top?

Cheer - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • seeing the same issue here since Friday lunchtime. have just opened a ticket with support to see if they spot anything.
  • Same problem. 

Since November, 10 2014 (looking at hardware log usage), confd.plx is regulary consumming 100% CPU without any reason. process is locked at his level until i killed it.

Problem appeared suddenly. I have not applied any update on this date (but may have changed some parameters in configuration, but don't remember if true and which ones).

It seems to be in link which automatic fetch of pattern or up2date, because the problem always start there (retreive is programmed each 15mn). Tried to switch to every hours, and change scanning to single scan with avira, as seen in an other post, with no success.

Is there a way to go further than a top tu see exactly what happen with confd.plx ?

this problem is very annoying...
  • Salut, JAM.  I have a customer with an old ASG 120 that can't afford to upgrade, so I took two minutes to set pattern updates to "Manual" and added the following line to /etc/crontab-static to do pattern updates every morning at 4AM:

0 4 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 root /sbin/audld.plx --nosys --trigger

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi.

thanks for your idea for a workaround, but i first want to see exactly what is going wrong and why (problem about up2date is just an idea because of the time where the problem occurs...alwas at full hour or quarter of hour).

which log will i look at ?
    which commands will be helpful ?
    (i've used top and ps to see that confd.plx what consumming all cpu).

This problem appears randomly and didn't occured before :-(
  • There is a confd log, iirc.

Barry
  • Before you dig into confd.log or (from the command line) confd-debug.log, try Up2Dating to 9.304 to see if that solves the problem.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi.

As my ASG was running 9.21.0 version I was still waiting for "automatic" up2date to upgrade to 9.304 version. 
    But I've manually downloaded the upgrade this morning and appplied it.
    I will keep you inform about the results on my confd/cpu issue.
  • Hi.

FYI, since 3 days I have applied 9.304-9, the cpu issue with confd.plx don't have appeared again.
  • Good news!  Sometimes, just rebooting can solve a problem, or re-installing the last Up2Date.  Since I think 9.304 is the best release in awhile, I thought that was the easiest solution.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA