This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Restore Config to different UTM for temporary Disaster Recovery?

I have 2 x SG 135 UTMs at 2 different Clients.

I also have an NFR SG 135 in my own Office that I use for testing.

Both Client UTMS are under warranty and full Support.

If one of them fails can I simply load the backup config from the Client UTM and load it on to my UTM?

That way I can quickly get them going with my loaner UTM while we're waiting for Sophos to ship a replacement.

How would loading a Client config on to my UTM affect the Licence?

Thanks, Martin

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Your plan is sound, Martin.  The config backups of all three SGs contain the license file for the device.  You can load the client's config on your machine to replace theirs and then reload your own backup when you retrieve your NFR SG.  As a mod, I can see that you're from down under and I don't know about replacement policies there.  Here in the USA, any RMA requested by 3PM Pacific Time (California) results in a replacement arriving the next day at the client site.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob,

As always you provide fantastic advice.

Here in Oz all the devices come from Singapore unless they happen to have one lying around.

When I first started with Sophos, they replaced my NFR.

Took about 3 days.

Same with one of my Clients.

It wasn't the hardware but an MTU setting, but that's a story for another day !

Probably worse now with Covid...

So my cunning plan is to bring my device to the Client's Office and simply swap out the Client device for my NFR.

As a matter of interest, what would happen if I load the Client Config on to my NFR whilst the Client machine was still running?

In that scenario I have 2 machines running the same Config and License?

This scenario is for me to load the Config on to my NFR at my Office, then physically go the Client's Office.

Cheers, Martin

• I don't think it's a problem, Martin.  Maybe an issue if two units with the same license are "visible" on the Internet, but I haven't any experience with that.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob, I'll let you know how I went if it ever happens!