This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM High availability - Some questions

So, I am planning on implementing HA at home, and I am converting everything to a network rack mount system.  I currently have one UTM running.

Here is my plan:

Have current UTM that has 6 network ports.  One port connected from ISP, second port used for internal network.

Implement VMWare UTM for HA.  My server only has two network ports, one is used as the admin interface, the second is the VMWare network.

I am guessing that I will have to add a network card to my VMware server?  I would assume that I would need another port for the HA interface?  How would the network cabling go for this setup (with or without adding another card)?  If I don't need to add a NIC card, will VM virtual networking be useful?

The setup itself for HA seems pretty simple, and I would like to have the HA in case my master UTM goes down/needs maintenance/whatever and I don't have interruption.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You need an other NIC for HA, but I think a virtual NIC would be sufficient. If I got this right, you have a single server for esx?

Try to separate your thinking in virtual NICs and physical NICs. The virtual switch from esx will take care of connection. You don’t need any additional cables.

In general you may need vlan because of only one port on the esx or more ports. Depends on your equipment and preferences.

Best regards

Alex

-

• Yes, I have a single server running ESXi 6.7, with only two NICs onboard.  I think UTM will want to require a management port though and I might have to get another NIC, which I am not concerned if I need to.  I just want to make sure whether or not I have to.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)