This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Google Cloud

Hi all,

AWS has a cloud version of Sophos that can be deployed.

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01M1ORUI6

However, I would like to know when a version will become available to deploy on Google Cloud?

I have tried building an image to work on GCP, however, I've bad no luck thus far. I can't get my VM to boot on GCP. I would really like to migrating my hosting to GCP, so getting a Sophos firewall running there, is essential.

Anyone with the same issue?

Thanks

Chris

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Chris and welcome to the UTM Community!

For UTM, AWS is the only cloud provider actively supported.  For Sophos XG, it's Azure.

When you say that you can't get your VM to boot, do you mean that you've loaded the software ISO into an instance and that it won't boot?  If so, then it's likely an insurmountable hardware issue.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

I have created a raw boot disk from a running Sophos UTM 9 instance. The instance is clean and all default config.

From there, I created an image and uploaded it to Google Cloud.

I then created a new VM and tried to boot from the image. When viewing the serial output, the VM is picking up all the RAM and CPU. However, it gets stuck at "Booting from disk 0...". From there, it just does nothing.

So I assumed that Sophos isn't compatible with Google Cloud Compute yet?

Regards

Chris

• I had the same kind of issue while installing the iso on a openstack enviroment.

After adding two extra HD disks the drives where visible to the UTM.

I added 1 disk of 100gb and 1 disk of 10gb . Then I installed the UTM software on the 100gb disk. After installation you can remove the 10gb disk.

Maybe it works for you as well on the google cloud. 

• Hi there,

Yeah, but it's not like that with GCP. You can't simply attach an ISO to a VM. You have to make a bootable disk out of it.

So it's a bit different to the method you explained.

Regards

Chris

• Interesting, doesn't seem like anyone has the need to use Google Cloud then?

Maybe I should contact Sophos support directly.

Chris

• Hi,

What I've done is:

Installed a new Sophos UTM 9 on a VMWare Virtual machine.

The virtual machine has 2 disks attached.

What I then did was to create a raw bootable disk from the running Sophos install, since you can't upload ISO images to Google.

So basically:

Step 1:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/disk.raw bs=4M conv=sparse

Step 2:
    sudo tar -Sczf /tmp/compressed-image.tar.gz disk.raw

Step 3:

Create an image from the tar file.

Step 4:

Create a VM from the image. Enable the serial console and boot the VM. The VM boots, and I'm left with the below issue:

serialport: Connected:
    SeaBIOS (version 1.8.2-20180718_090847-google)
    Total RAM Size = 0x00000001e0000000 = 7680 MiB
    CPUs found: 2     Max CPUs supported: 256
    found virtio-scsi at 0:3
    virtio-scsi vendor='Google' product='PersistentDisk' rev='1' type=0 removable=0
    virtio-scsi blksize=512 sectors=41943040 = 20480 MiB
    drive 0x000f2280: PCHS=0/0/0 translation=lba LCHS=1024/255/63 s=41943040
    Booting from Hard Disk 0...

It just hangs at this point, and does nothing further. So I'm not sure what the exact issue is.

Thanks

Chris

• Guys,

I also face the problem on Google Cloud with the error "Booting from disk 0..."

Is that any solution on this?

thank you

• Do you have some news about Sophos on GCP ?