This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Advise on hardware topology for lab network including Cisco C890 router.

Hi,

I'm looking at integrating UTM 9 into my network. My intention is to use it as a L7 firewall with IPS and a reverse proxy so I can present several IoT devices to the Internet. I may use it for VPN too.

Currently, I have:

• Cisco C897VAW router (Integrated ADSL modem)
  • ADSL (20Mbps / 7Mbps)
  • ESXi hosts 2x with 4 nics each.
  • Cisco SG300-28p (Layer 2)

One of the reasons for looking at UTM 9 is the GUI FW, so my intention is to replace ACLs / Zones on the router, therefore, it is my understanding that it would be best to place the UTM between the WAN and LAN, however, these roles both live on the device, namely the router.

I'd like to keep the router doing most of the L3 stuff as I have several VLANs and make use of the switchports, PoE and wireless access point. 

My current plan is to buy something like an Intel NUC to run UTM and an ADSL modem. I can then shut down the Dialer interface on the router and hook up the UTM device between the new ADSL modem and the WAN interface on the router.

I've thought about the virtual route, however, I like to be able to shut down the ESXi hosts and with UTM running on them, it would mean I'd have to leave one running all the time.

What is the opinion of my proposed plan? Is there a better way that may allow me to utilise the built-in modem of the router. (Thinking out aloud here.) Maybe there's a way to 'bridge' one of the GigabitEthernet interfaces to the dialer. For example:

Internet --> Dialer --> Bridge --> GigabitEthernet0 --> UTM --> WAN.

(Green = inside the router)

Last time I played around with my UTM, I noticed there was a place to add my ISP settings into UTM. I've been trying to find Cisco config examples of the Dialer config for this senario.

Many thanks

W.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

a NUC probably will not work, only one network interface, you need two. There are qotom and similar boxes with multiple ports in current threads.

Something wrong with your diagram, internet oneside and WAN the other, bit strange.

When you setup the UTM interface as PPPoE (filing in userid and password) and connect to your bridged modem.

Or maybe your ISP provides you with a DHCP connection, so the modem goes in bridge mode and the external interface is set tp DHCP and you co not require your ISPs userid and password.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

NUC or something similar. I read a post on here where someone got a NUC to work, by adding additional Ethernet via USB.

I've put together a quick diagram that I hope will explain my initial "diagram":

1 = WAN

11 = ADSL (Modem

4 = GigabitEthernet0

Thanks

W.

• Hi,

that should work, except I think your interfaces are back to front.

The NUC might work if you use a suitable USB gprs type device which is part of the hardware list, but that would replace your cisco modem?

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.