This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9 Endpoint Antivirus 11.0.11 Questions

I'm using the newest iteration of UTM 9 (Home Edition) and I have a few questions related to the endpoint anti-virus that ships with the product. First and foremost, does UTM endpoint 11.0.11 offer the same level of protection as the home antivirus? I read a while back that the home version would be getting Intercept X technology, but no one ever talked about UTM's endpoint antivirus receiving any major updates. With that said, here are a few specific points to clarify my question:

1) Does Sophos endpoint (UTM 11.0.11) offer better or worse protection than the home version? Do either of them come equipped with Intercept X?

2) Are there any spreadsheets that show a specific list of features that comes with Sophos Endpoint (UTM)? This product claims to be at version 11.0.11 while the business endpoint is at version 10.x, so I am unsure if they are related to each other in terms of protection (not features). The reason I decided to make the comparison with Sophos Home is because I am unsure if the endpoint protection provided for the UTM is on par with their business or home antivirus. 

I'm just trying to figure out the differences between the endpoint antivirus that ships with the UTM (Home Edition) and the other Sophos products. I'm mostly worried that the UTM endpoint is not well maintained and lagging behind both the business and home versions of their antivirus product. While being able to manage endpoints through the UTM is nice, it would be better to have optimal protection.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I know this question has been asked a lot, but no one has really answered these specific points.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Mike NA,

[I'm not Sophos and not a UTM guy]
    the question is not a simple one. I haven't seen through the recent version numbering w.r.t. the Endpoint (the term itself is ambiguous) component bundle in the various products. In Central it's 11.5.9.
    The version used to be the one of the basic Anti-Virus (allegedly 10.7.6 for Central, 10.7.3 for ESC), with the core detection engine and detection data. A long time ago the AV version indicated engine, UI, capabilities, and manageability. The engine is now independent of the AV version. Lately another layer of versioning has been introduced that describes differences in UI and management related to the different product lines and perhaps the optionally available additional features and components - but not the basic AV capabilities.

Indeed if you are looking at the various release note it suggests that the UTM "version" is lagging behind the others and seems to have almost no additional features. If I understand the architecture when the UTM is involved correctly then the UTM is a restricted interface to a Home/Central Admin console in the cloud. There are definitely no signs that there will be a fully fledged Endpoint that can be managed by an "on-site" (whether physical or virtual - VPC) product other than SEC. If not SEC then Central is (at the moment) the only way to get all the nifty things that add to protection.
    Even though E-UTM is lagging behind base protection is on par with the other products.

Intercept X will be a available in a paid Home Premium version. I don't think (but may be wrong) though that UTM will get new management capabilities, I think you'll rather get access to your UTM Admin - or some other free Home firewall - through the cloud console.

Just my two cents
    Christian

• Hello Mike NA,

[I'm not Sophos and not a UTM guy]
    the question is not a simple one. I haven't seen through the recent version numbering w.r.t. the Endpoint (the term itself is ambiguous) component bundle in the various products. In Central it's 11.5.9.
    The version used to be the one of the basic Anti-Virus (allegedly 10.7.6 for Central, 10.7.3 for ESC), with the core detection engine and detection data. A long time ago the AV version indicated engine, UI, capabilities, and manageability. The engine is now independent of the AV version. Lately another layer of versioning has been introduced that describes differences in UI and management related to the different product lines and perhaps the optionally available additional features and components - but not the basic AV capabilities.

Indeed if you are looking at the various release note it suggests that the UTM "version" is lagging behind the others and seems to have almost no additional features. If I understand the architecture when the UTM is involved correctly then the UTM is a restricted interface to a Home/Central Admin console in the cloud. There are definitely no signs that there will be a fully fledged Endpoint that can be managed by an "on-site" (whether physical or virtual - VPC) product other than SEC. If not SEC then Central is (at the moment) the only way to get all the nifty things that add to protection.
    Even though E-UTM is lagging behind base protection is on par with the other products.

Intercept X will be a available in a paid Home Premium version. I don't think (but may be wrong) though that UTM will get new management capabilities, I think you'll rather get access to your UTM Admin - or some other free Home firewall - through the cloud console.

Just my two cents
    Christian

Children
No Data