Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DHCP option 234 issue with AP

Hi,

i have some problems with my AP´s ( 10 and 30) and DHCP Option 234(Magic IP)
I need to change this IP because I can´t route it in my environment.

If I do understand DHCP correctly a DHCP Client has a predefined list of DHCP options it can ask for.
So when i configure my DHCP server to rollout this option the client should grep it.
But when I look into Wireshark-Trace from the DHCP-Discover of the AP then I do not see an option 234 , 73 or 74.

So what will be a solution for me? Can I somehow program the AP to ask for this option? Or do i somehow need to reflash the AP with another firmware?

Kind regards
akqadm

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • hi akqadm,

This option is nothing you can find into the discover, it is offered by the dhcp server and 
    the AP always looks into this option and uses the IP specified there.
    Do you try to use the Sophos UTMs DHCP server or a foreign one (for example Windows DHCP)?
    You just have to configure this option on the server side.

Regards,
    Emanuel
  • Hi etaube,

the DHCP-Server i use is an ASA 5505. I did configured the DHCP options here but somehow it is not offering these options. I looked into the "offering"
    The CLI messages of the ASA say:
    adding option 234
    deleting option 234
    I don´t want to say that the ASA isn´t the problem here. I in parallel have an case at Cisco side.
    I will see in how far i can use another DHCP Server.
    Just wanted to be sure that it should work no matter what the AP has a firmware for.

Kind regards
  • The AP10 and AP30 work only with Sophos firmware - you might "kill" them by flashing another manufacturer's firmware.

I would suggest that the Sophos UTM DHCP server should be used with Sophos APs although the ASA's DHCP server should work. Here's the KnowledgeBase article that you need: Using DHCP to get the IP of a Sophos Access Point

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • So finally I got it working.
    But I didnt went for the DHCP option.
    I realized it via a NAT rule where I manipulated the 1.2.3.4 to the IP address of the UTM.

Btw it is also a bug of the cisco ASA that it can´t provide the option 234 [;)]

nonetheless thanks for your help [:)]
  • Hi, How did you do it? I have the same problem..this time i'm using pfsense as the dhcp server..and I also define DHCP Option 234 on it but no luck, the utm wont detect the AP30

Thanks in advance!
  • Do up2date to 9.308 firmware version. Read this forum thread for more info:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/60/t/56547