This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where I found a manual/tutorial how I can configure POP3/SMTP Protection (gmail, hotmail, gmx)?

Hi to all,

I would like to configure on my home licensed software appliance the Email Proxy Protection.

I don't use a Exchange Server only the normal POP3/SMTP (send/receive) Email function with SSL transport and Outlook 2016.

I have read that now Astaro support scanning Emails with SSL transport.

But I really don't know how to do that. I tried few hours some settings without success. :(

Did somebody know where I can found a manual/tutorial or infos about POP3/SMTP Protection.

OT: btw. I liked and miss the old Astaro forum. ;)

Best Wishes,

Elena

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Those all use 995 instead of 110 for POP3, Elena, so there's no possibility to make this work. I doubt that it would work to use a NAT rule like 'SNAT : Any -> POP3 -> {GMX mail server} : Use POP3 SSL' because the traffic used to contact the server won't be encrypted.  The POP3 Proxy only can scan inbound encrypted traffic.

Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo all only receive messages on port 25, so if your ISP is blocking SMTP, you wouldn't be able to send from Outlook via one of those three.  Only GMX receives on port 587.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi BAlfson,

Thank you very, very much for clarification.

I understand the situation now.

I configure all email accounts with passwords on User Portal. SNAT rule not working.

But I think I wouldn't install/configure POP3 Proxy on Astaro.

I install one time the POP3 Proxy with a Exchange and it was easyier.  ;)

I think I leave it as it is. Thank you again for help.

Best Wishes,

Elena

• I'd like to revisit this issue, raised by someone else.

I do NOT want to manage my own internal email server.  I tried that with Win SBS 2003 ten years ago and learned it was better to outsource this, as a small business owner who must fix all IT issues as well as the toilets and yet still earn money. Too much work.

My small business now uses GoDaddy for email.  Our configuration is:

imap.secureserver.net - incoming, SSL - port 993

smtpout.secureserver.net - outgoing SSL - port 465

with UTM 9, under "Email Protection | SMTP | Routing," what could I enter in the fields for Domains and Host-List that would cause my Sophos SG105 to scan email?  

Thanks.

• Hi, Evan, and welcome to the UTM Community!

The UTM's POP3 Proxy does not support SSL.  The SMTP Proxy does not support outbound SSL on port 465.

You could switch your Outlook configuration to port 25 and use the SMTP Proxy as GoDaddy supports starttls.  You would need to confirm with your ISP that port 25 is not blocked with your service.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA