This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9 and intel NUC successfully installation (bare metal).

I wanted to .. well downgrade is not really the proper word, but "reduce" my lab foot print recently and started with migrating my ESXi box to a NUC i5 (5th gen vPro) successfully. 

My next project (the item) was to migrate my existing UTM 9 install from a dedicated Desktop PC (with 3 nics : INT/EXT/DMZ) to a NUC unit bare metal.

First hurdle setup my NUC and booted to my display and I confirmed it worked (got BIOS displayed). 

But after buring UTM ISO 9.351-3 to a DVD and booting the NUC via USB/DVD player I got it to the point of discovering devices and .gurk.   it hangs.

Doing some research it seems UTM does not as an installer like HDMI as the current display.

So I changed the display port adapter to a VGA output and bingo the install worked.  Was able to get the NUC installed (with only the one NIC) and performed the post reboot setup/etc with no problems.

Next issue was the lack of multiple nics.  For this I solved it by using USB3 to NIC (ASIX electronic chip set).  I got 2 of these from (I am in Australia) Officeworks at 40$ . http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-usb-to-ethernet-network-adapter-cou2fead?searchTerm=usb .

I plugged these in and rebooted, and YAHOO.  it found them. 

So at that point I grabbed a backup of my existing UTM 9 config and did a restore.  ...... GURK....

It took me 15 minutes of juggling nic's and fixing IP's in INT and DMZ to get into the management interface again, and correctly assign the right NIC to the right function...   But after doing that it all worked.

So yes a NUC on bare metal can be used as a UTM 9 with no hardware mod's (like getting a mPCIe ethernet adaptops.

Specs for my UTM 9 (home user license) is:

NUC 5i5RYH
8Gb ram
1TB HD (9.5mm)
2 x Comsol USB to Ethernet Network Adapter
1 x Comsol Mini Display Port to VGA Female Adapter 20cm

(onboard WIFI NIC is not visible inside the Sophos configuration).

I hope this helps some one in the future.

-Regards 
    Randall

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I am thinking of doing the same. I am not sure what hardware specs you used before. Is the Intel NUC i5 a hardware upgrade. Have you noticed performance gain? Any thing else you would like to comment on would be useful. Thanks
  • This response is about the UTM 9 migration. (if you want to know about my ESXi, please message me privately).

My previous desktop PC was 6 years old with only 2Gb of ram and 120G disk. So yeah the NUC i5 with 8Gb was a significant upgrade.

Other things I can tell you. the migration from old hardware to new only covers the config. Sophos does not have the ability to migrate the logs, so my new Firewall is a clean system.

Next : I compared my daily report I get emailed from the old system to the new system (after 3 days on the new system).

The old system sent me the daily report 65 minutes after midnight, with average system load of 0.35
    The new system sent me the daily report 65 minutes after midnight. with average system load of 0.17

Since the daily reports do not parse older log files (such as weekly and monthly reports do), this is a good indication that the migration as a upgrade.

As my upstream ISP can only give me (due to distance/adsl) about 350Kb/s I have not noticed any difference shifting from PCI NIC's (from my old desktop pc) to my new USB NIC's (in the NUC).

I have noticed the noise reduction (which is basically ALL of the fans cpu/power on the desktop) which has been great. And I am sure the power reduction will be noticed on my next power bill.

Hope this information helps.