[8.951][BUG] dhcp option 60 missing

is there a reason why dhcp option 60 is missing?

we'd need that for pxe (altiris) deployment...

ng, Berndt
  • We list all official supported DHCP options by ISC dhcp server.
    However you are free to create all other DHCP options yourself.

Your select DHCP option 60 as code and choose the correct type,
    either IP address, string or hex data...

Cheers
     Ulrich
  • well, how?[:S]

it seems that code numbers 50-61 are missing. Is there a way to create these "numbers"?

ng, berndt
  • Oh my fault, didn't have a look at the number.

RFC 2132 states Code 60 as "9.13. Vendor class identifier",
    so this is a Code send by clients to the server.
    The whole range 50-61 is client to server only, thats why there
    are not listed...

You are sure thats the correct code you have to send
    from server to clients??

Cheers
     Ulrich
  • I think you only use option 60 if the server with DHCP is also the PXE host (IE a Microsoft server)

Otherwise I believe you need to use option 66 pointing to where your boot server is. and option 67 for the boot file.

Example for WDS below. Just look at your Altiris manual.

"If you are running Windows Deployment Services and a non-Microsoft DHCP server on the same computer, in addition to configuring the server to not listen on port 67, you will need to use your DHCP tools to add Option 60 to their DHCP scopes. 

If DHCP is installed on a server that is located in a different subnet, then you will need to do one of the following:
    (recommended) Configure your IP Helper tables. All DHCP broadcasts on UDP port 67 by client computers should be forwarded directly to both the DHCP server and the Windows Deployment Services PXE server. Also, all traffic to UDP port 4011 from the client computers to the Windows Deployment Services PXE server should be routed appropriately (these requests direct traffic to the server, not broadcasts). 

Add DHCP options 66 and 67. Option 66 should be set to the Windows Deployment Services server, and option 67 should be set to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com."
  • da_merlin, yes, I'm quite sure. I'm still trying to "understand" the rfc (...), nevertheless symantec/altiris wants me to set the following:

dhcp server set optionvalue 43 BINARY 06010B0807AAAA010102030400
    dhcp server set optionvalue 60 STRING PXEClient
    dhcp server set optionvalue 66 STRING 1.2.3.4
    dhcp server set optionvalue 67 STRING BStrap\X86pc\BStrap.0

besides the problem with option 60 there's another:
    option 43 can only be set from 00 to ff, as you can see my value is much larger

Jasin, thank you too for your input. At Symantec's Website there's written option 60 has to be used when pxe and dhcp are on seperated servers. (Since I'm not using WDS my option 67 is different but this should be ok.)

ng, Berndt
  • Enter the hex data separated with colons, like this:
    06:01:0B:08...

About code 60, I would bet that it will work without this option.
    Please try and let me know, if it didn't...

Cheers
     Ulrich
  • after testing several things, the current status is the following:

a) hex data separating with colonss works, thank you!
    b) PXE won't work

maybe for this reason: although I defined a different host in option 66 (tried IP, hostname, fqdn) i can't see the option 66 (I CAN see option 43 and 67) in the DHCP ACK paket through wireshark. Is this normal? So my client tries UDP 69 to the astaro ip and not to the TFTP/PXE Server, reagrdless whether using astaro's connection tracking tftp helper or not.

ng, Berndt
  • The DHCP server will only reply with DHCP options the client requested.
    So check the DHCP request if code 66 was requested.

Code 66 is equivalent to next-server (DHCP header)
    Code 67 is equivalent filename (DHCP header)

In theory, both should working. However during my tests. most PXE clients ignored Code 66.

So please create a DHCP option for next-server and configure them. If the client then uses the correct tftp server but wrong filename, please create an entry for filename too.
  • excellent, we're getting closer. almost there...

using next-server instead of option 66 I'm getting further and: to another problem.

I'm using "BStrap\X86pc\BStrap.0" in the text field of option 67 (or option "filename"). Via wireshark I can see only "BStrapX86pcBStrap.0" where in my prodlan also the backslashes are presented.

so in short: could it be that the backslashes in dhcp option textfields are deleted/ignored by astaro?

when moving the file down two folders in the "root" and therefore avoiding the backslashes it works!!! at last!

ng, Berndt
  • Oh thanks for spotting this one [[:)]]

ISC dhcp daemon interprets \ as special character. Will fix the mdw to always escape \ within text strings.

As a workaround replace all \ by \, but be aware that is breaks again we release the fix, then you have to replace it by one \ again... [[:)]]

Cheers
     Ulrich