This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PPTP VPN issues - "Lost or reordered" packets?

I have a customer with an ASG120 that keeps having issues with PPTP VPNs. I manage somewhere around 15 total ASG units ranging from 120s to 320s and this is the only time I've ever encountered this problem, and it's a pretty standard configuration.

PPTP VPNs are very inconsisten. Most of the time it just doesn't work. I can connect and get an address, ping the IP of the ASG and even manage it, but traffic doesn't cross to anywhere on the local network. Perfect example of this is earlier this morning I connected the VPN and was actually connected by Remote Desktop to a server, then I just suddently lost connectivity. The VPN was still connected, but I could no longer even ping an internal address. I checked the PPTP Daemon log at the time I lost communication with the server and I see these entries:

2010:08:17-08:46:50 gw01 pptpd[6524]: GRE: buffering packet#130 (expecting #129, lost or reordered)
2010:08:17-08:46:50 gw01 pptpd[6524]: GRE: accepting #130 from queue
2010:08:17-09:24:12 gw01 pptpd[6524]: GRE: buffering packet #747 (expecting #746, lost or reordered)
2010:08:17-09:24:12 gw01 pptpd[6524]: GRE: accepting #747 from queue
2010:08:17-09:24:13 gw01 pptpd[6524]: GRE: buffering packet #785 (expecting #784, lost or reordered)
2010:08:17-09:24:13 gw01 pptpd[6524]: GRE: accepting #785 from queue
2010:08:17-09:26:39 gw01 pppd-pptp[6525]: LCP terminated by peer (=^OsM-/^@

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Ethernet cable on either end? Failing switch, router or NIC?  MTU mismatch?  Maybe set ASG External interface to half-duplex or fixed speed?

Normal browsing can be more forgiving of such problems; browsing seems slower, but it works.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ethernet cable on either end? Failing switch, router or NIC?  MTU mismatch?  Maybe set ASG External interface to half-duplex or fixed speed?

Normal browsing can be more forgiving of such problems; browsing seems slower, but it works.

Cheers - Bob

This looks like a software, not a hardware issue. I did go ahead and force the eth0 (LAN) interface to 10 Mbit just for testing, but that didn't make any difference.

I just tested this again. First I created DNAT to allow Remote Desktop directly through the firewall so I could bypass the VPN. So, first I connected the VPN, verified I could ping the server, then I used Remote Desktop to connect to it. Within a minute or two it dropped the connection and I could no longer ping anything. I then disconnected the VPN and directly connected with Remote Desktop and I was able to flawlessly use Remote Desktop for about 15 minutes while I resolved a problem.

I'd still like to know what the "Lost or Reordered" message means and what's causing it.
  • i am facing the exact same issue.  I have ASG120 version 8.003 latest firmware installed.  Whats causing this problem to happen?  this is not hardware issue its software issue, Astaro has many bugs they are dodgy.  Astaro, fix your "weirdness" that happens on your firewalls, this is totally unacceptable.  We pay good money and yet we always have to go back and fourth to this forum posting our problems that you never checked or fixed.  Please somebody give me an answer whays causing this error message to show in the live log of pptp vpn?????????     lost or reordered packets?   I never had this issue a month ago, I only noticed it when I was notified by some of our vpn users who cannot browse certain websites.
  • Why not update to the SSL based VPN? 
    PPTP is dodgy without Astaro making it dodgy? [:)]
    Could be issue with PPTP on the client side?