This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UPDATE - IPS Pattern Update fixed

Hi Everyone,

We have tested that the new IPS patterns on the Up2Date server are fixed and working.

If your system is affected there are two ways to get the updated and fixed patterns:

1) WebAdmin (the preferred way)

- login to WebAdmin via https://YOUR_ASG_IP:4444
- go to left menu item “Network Security”
- go to sub menu item “Intrusion Prevention”
- disable the IPS system (if not already done)
- go to the last tab “Advanced”
- click on the green “+” sign under “Modified rules”
- enter under “Rule ID”: 15851 and check “Disable this rule”
- click “Save”
- click again on the green “+” sign under “Modified rules”
- enter under “Rule ID”: 16576 and check “Disable this rule”
- click “Save”
-     go back to the first tab and activate the IPS system again

This will fix the problem and install the new IPS pattern. 

PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the speed and workload of your ASG it can take a minute!

2. Command line (only for experienced users)
-     login via SSH or local on console
-     become "root"
-     enter "echo 1 > /proc/net/nf_condition/ips"

That's all and will do the following: 

*     it will bypass completely the IPS system on lowest level (ASG is online then), independent if IPS is activated or deactivated on WebAdmin

*     the new IPS pattern will be fetched and installed

*     the next IPS pattern update we will provide later today will remove this bypass automatically and the ASG works like configured (with new pattern)

If your ASG uses ACC as an Up2Date cache: do the same above for these ASGs if there are affected. There is no todo on ACC.

If your ASG is not and was not affected, because IPS was turned off last 8 hours or not online and therefore didn't fetched the corrupt pattern then there is no action needed. The old, corrupt patterns are removed from the Up2Date server. It is safe the activate IPS now and set the ASG online again to fetch IPS pattern.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Dominic Schmidl

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I hate to be ruining the party, but the issue is not resolved.
  • Hi there,

is it possible to erase the "specific IPS rules" (disabeling 15851 and 16576) after  install the new IPS pattern? 

BTW: I'll also recommend Astaro to implement some tests before deploying new AV and IPS patterns.

tov
  • I'd deactivated the rules you mentioned and pattern version 12406 were installed but the problem persists as long as IPS is activated.
  • Please test it before deploy IPS patterns ! It was not really funny - the last 4hours...  :-(
  • Note that do not just see the number, need to look at the File.
    In my case, it was not a ips update but the Avira AV.
    Not working at this point of time, waiting for the ips update.
    Did manual check and no further updates.

New Pattern Up2Dates have been installed. The current pattern version
    is now 12406.

-- System Uptime : 0 days 2 hours 8 minutes System Load : 0.05 System Version : Astaro Security Gateway Software 7.504 Please refer to the manual for detailed instructions.

u2d-desc-7.1932.txt

Up2Date 7.1932 package description:

RPM packages contained:
     u2d-avira-7.1931-1932.patch.rpm
  • Like I wrote in my post earlier in this thread - the actual issue is NOT resolved.
  • Is it a Must to do the following steps to get the Updated IPS Up2Date ?
    OR I can simply live with IPS Disabled and only enable it when I see a IPS Up2Date is installed?

1) WebAdmin (the preferred way)

- login to WebAdmin via https://YOUR_ASG_IP:4444
    - go to left menu item “Network Security”
    - go to sub menu item “Intrusion Prevention”
    - disable the IPS system (if not already done)
    - go to the last tab “Advanced”
    - click on the green “+” sign under “Modified rules”
    - enter under “Rule ID”: 15851 and check “Disable this rule”
    - click “Save”
    - click again on the green “+” sign under “Modified rules”
    - enter under “Rule ID”: 16576 and check “Disable this rule”
    - click “Save”
    - go back to the first tab and activate the IPS system again

This will fix the problem and install the new IPS pattern.

PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the speed and workload of your ASG it can take a minute!
  • BTW: The second possiblity works for me at the moment.
    I have IPS activated and dismissed it from command line to make pattern updates install.

@Alvin: You need to activate the IPS to get the updates. Updates are downloaded for activated services only.
  • DUH - we know that by now.

The problem is that UNLESS you have those specific rules set to DISABLED your system will NOT function properly. Not even with the NEW definitions...!

So, the actual problem has not been resolved. We are just using a workaround.

The only correct course of action for non-impacted people is to simply DISABLE the automatic download of the new definitions.

The reasoning is that when you update the definitions you will STILL get faulty ones, meaning that if you do not have the workaround in place you will loose your connections.

Similarly, when you DO have the workaround in place and allow the definitions to be updated, the only way to VERIFY that the actual problem in the definitions was resolved is to REMOVE the workaround again. I do not think that anybody with remote installations is willing to take that risk...!
  • The updates seem to fix the issue for me and few others by the look of it.

Maybe there are other side issues going on as well not sure.

What gets me is that since this whole issue began and maybe from 24 hrs ago I seem to have this issue in my IPS log along with another 2 dozen rules specified. Any ideas?

2010:05:07-18:48:02 ******** snort[8442]: Encoded Rule Plugin SID: 11016504, GID: 3 not registered properly. Disabling this rule. 
    2010:05:07-18:48:02 ******** snort[8442]: Encoded Rule Plugin SID: 52016534, GID: 3 not registered properly. Disabling this rule. 
    2010:05:07-18:48:02 ******** snort[8442]: Encoded Rule Plugin SID: 41016533, GID: 3 not registered properly. Disabling this rule.