This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UDP Session timeout parameter?

I just installed a hosted PBX VoIP solution at one office. There is a software receptionist console that required a UDP port to be opened to the hoster's network. All good so far. But they said on most firewalls you have to expand the UDP session timeout to avoid having to constantly reconnect the software console. I don't see anywhere on the ASG120 V7.5 to set a parameter like that.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, I haven't had any trouble with a single SIP line... I'm currently using the Astaro VOIP Security features, but have just used PacketFilter rules in the past, and did not have any problems. If there are problems, they'd probably manifest as missed incoming calls, btw.

I'm not sure that the VOIP Security features work for a PBX, btw, so if it's working without, you might want to leave it alone until that's confirmed.

Barry
  • Missing the point. So let me clarify. The VoIP traffic does not go thru the firewall. The hoster's router splits the VoIP traffice from the data traffic and bypasses the firewall. The issue is the portal that the receptionist uses for the software console, where she can she who is online, who's free, who's on DND, etc. That uses a custom UDP port. The vendor says that with other firewalls they are familiar with, the UDP session time's out and the software must be reconnected frequently unless the session time out parameter is expanded.
  • # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_udp_timeout  
    # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream 

You can change those settings with sysctl, but Astaro may reset them again.
    Keep in mind that increasing these timeouts increases the # of connections Astaro has to keep track of, increasing RAM usage.

Barry
  • What would the default time out be for Astaro?

Tom
  • For UDP, it looks like it's 30 seconds, and 180 seconds for UDP streams.

Barry