This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Releasing external DHCP assigned address

I've been trying to figure out if I can release the DHCP assigned address my ASG gets from my ISP (Verizon FiOS). I've read here that I can do "ifconfig eth0 down". But that just takes down the interface. It doesn't send the DHCP_RELEASE command required by my ISP to actually release the ip lease.
I've also read that I can do "dhcpcd -k" and THAT will send the DHCP_RELEASE. But if I navigate to /var/chroot-dhcpc/usr/sbin and do "./dhcpcd -k" I get a message that no interface was given. If I do "dhcpcd -k eth0" I get a message that dhcpcd isn't running.

So what is it guys? How can I take down my external interface AND send the DHCP_RELEASE command?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You have to run the command in a chroot context:
    chroot /var/chroot-dhcpc /usr/sbin/dhcpcd -k eth0

There is no need to shut the interface down.

Regards,
    Daniel
  • You have to run the command in a chroot context:
    chroot /var/chroot-dhcpc /usr/sbin/dhcpcd -k eth0

There is no need to shut the interface down.

Regards,
    Daniel

Ahh. Thanks. I missed the chroot part.
    Any chance this might end up as a button like the "renew" button on the interfaces tab in the GUI.
  • Why do you need to renew the address?

Regards,
    Daniel
  • Why do you need to renew the address?

Regards,
    Daniel

I have Verizon FiOS. Their DHCP server REQUIRES that it receive an DHCP_RELEASE from one router before it will let another router connect. If I want to substitute my ASG for Verizon's Actiontec router I have to release the address on the Actiontec (it has that function) before I connect the MAC-cloned ASG and vice versa. I can easily go from the Actiontec to the ASG, but going from the ASG to the Actiontec now requires a call the tech support to have then break the DHCP lease. Otherwise I have to wait 2 hours for the lease to expire. I have been having problems with Video on Demand pixelation when using the ASG, even though it SHOULD be able to out perform the Actiontec in every way. I'm using the Actiontec now to see if the problem persists. However, I'd like to switch back to my ASG since it is my preferred solution. It may come down to trying to connect the ASG behind the Actiontec.
  • Jimmy,

In Webadmin go to Network Security>Intrusion Prevention>Anti-DOS/Flooding>UDP Flood Protection. Disable UDP Flood protection. VOD requires UDP to work. I encountered the same issue with VOD some time ago with my Astaro configuration. Using the packet filter and IPS logs I was able to discover the cause and effect corrective action

Regards,
    Jim
  • Jimmy,

One other necessary item. I use the Actiontec router as a MOCA to Ethernet bridge only. On the Astaro it was necessary to add a rule allowing the Actiontec outbound access(Actiontec>Any Service>Destination Any IPv4). In the absence of the rule VOD will not work in this configuration. 

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Scottj,
    I'm not using IPS though.
    I had been using an NIM100 as the MoCA/Ethernet bridge and that was working very nicely. I had an interface dedicated to the NIM100 and had everything working nicely. It was just the pixelation causing the issue. I even had the Remote DVR working.
  • I just checked and UDP flood protection is turned off. Perhaps I should start another thread regarding the pixelation.
  • 'dhcpcd' has been replaced by 'dhclient'; the new command should be
    chroot /var/chroot-dhcpc /usr/sbin/dhclient -r eth0

I've only partially tested this, but I don't think it's working...

tcpdump -i eth0 port 67 or port 68 -e -n
    does not show any dhcp packets.

Nor does the firewall log show any dropped ones.

Barry
  • I'd be willing to give this a go if there ware any promise of a "Release" button in the UI for DHCP client configured interfaces.