This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Installation Failed - SOLVED!

I'm new to Sophos UTM and am very impressed with the product.  I wanted to post a solution to a problem I had with installing Sophos UTM that I fought for almost 3 days (yes, I was determined to get Sophos UTM installed and running [:D] ).

My problem was this: every time I tried to install Sophos UTM 9.304 -64 bit (also 9.20x & 9.306, IIRC) the installation program would hang at 66% during the hardware detection phase and the installation would abort.  I tried installing from both USB sticks and CD's and using every possible combination of swapping hardware and changing BIOS settings, etc that I could possibly think of, but to no avail.  I found several posts here on the Sophos BBS & on other sites with similar problems, but none of them solved my particular issue.

There were 2 test machines that I was using for the Sophos installation: both were new model ASUS m-ITX motherboards.  One had a H97 chipset, the other had a Z97 chipset.  I had 2 Intel CPU's that I tried swapping on both boards: i5-4440s and i7-4790k (yes, I realize that these are both overkill).  RAM was 4 or 8 Gigs and used a single 60 GB SSD on SATA III.  Each motherboard's single PCI-e slot had an Intel i-350, 4 port NIC and each motherboards' built-in NIC was Intel.  The Sophos installation found all 5 NIC ports, fine BTW.  Both motherboards had the latest BIOS updates available from ASUS.

After almost 3 days, I had reached the point that we all reach when we've tried every logical fix to the problem and are now trying the crazy stuff!  During all my previous failed installation attempts I had been using the motherboard's HDMI output to connect to my monitor's HDMI input.  Almost by chance, I tried using the motherboard's VGA output to connect to my monitor and the installation completed flawlessly!  For some reason, the Sophos UTM installer's hardware detection did not like my motherboard using HDMI, but VGA was fine.

So the moral here is, if you're having installation problems where the hardware detection hangs at 66%, make sure you're using your motherboard's VGA output (if it has one) and NOT the HDMI output.

I hope this helps someone.  If this is already a known issue and posted here somewhere, I totally missed it [:)]

- Ben

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Thanks for sharing.  [:)]

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I stumbled across the same problem trying to install 9.306-6.1 on Compulab Intense PC2 i7. With the monitor connected to either HDMI port (whether directly or via the included DVI adapter) the installer always stopped at 66% during hardware detection. Changing the BIOS configuration to enable the DisplayPort output and using that instead allowed the installation to complete successfully.

Thank you.
  • I'm new to Sophos UTM and am very impressed with the product.  I wanted to post a solution to a problem I had with installing Sophos UTM that I fought for almost 3 days (yes, I was determined to get Sophos UTM installed and running [:D] ).

My problem was this: every time I tried to install Sophos UTM 9.304 -64 bit (also 9.20x & 9.306, IIRC) the installation program would hang at 66% during the hardware detection phase and the installation would abort.  I tried installing from both USB sticks and CD's and using every possible combination of swapping hardware and changing BIOS settings, etc that I could possibly think of, but to no avail.  I found several posts here on the Sophos BBS & on other sites with similar problems, but none of them solved my particular issue.

There were 2 test machines that I was using for the Sophos installation: both were new model ASUS m-ITX motherboards.  One had a H97 chipset, the other had a Z97 chipset.  I had 2 Intel CPU's that I tried swapping on both boards: i5-4440s and i7-4790k (yes, I realize that these are both overkill).  RAM was 4 or 8 Gigs and used a single 60 GB SSD on SATA III.  Each motherboard's single PCI-e slot had an Intel i-350, 4 port NIC and each motherboards' built-in NIC was Intel.  The Sophos installation found all 5 NIC ports, fine BTW.  Both motherboards had the latest BIOS updates available from ASUS.

After almost 3 days, I had reached the point that we all reach when we've tried every logical fix to the problem and are now trying the crazy stuff!  During all my previous failed installation attempts I had been using the motherboard's HDMI output to connect to my monitor's HDMI input.  Almost by chance, I tried using the motherboard's VGA output to connect to my monitor and the installation completed flawlessly!  For some reason, the Sophos UTM installer's hardware detection did not like my motherboard using HDMI, but VGA was fine.

So the moral here is, if you're having installation problems where the hardware detection hangs at 66%, make sure you're using your motherboard's VGA output (if it has one) and NOT the HDMI output.

I hope this helps someone.  If this is already a known issue and posted here somewhere, I totally missed it [[:)]]

- Ben

the reason it does not like HDMI is because it is an encrypted display/audio interface.  UTM is not going to have the drivers/keys for the hdmi interface due to the costs of licensing the technology.  This is why every appliance from sophos still ship with a vga port..[[:)]]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• No HDMI drivers is going to be a problem soon; some systems are now HDMI only.
    (e.g. the Raspberry Pi 2 sitting in front of me only has an HDMI readily accessible)

And I don't think keys are needed for HDMI, only for HDCP which is not necessary here.

Barry
  • considering that UTM is only certified for it's hardware and they all have vga(and look at any other dedicated server board they will have vga too) i would figure on rasberry pi and other devices like it to nOT be on the suppported list for a loooong time.  Rasberry is eating the cost of the hdmo license or they are eating the cost for the rest of the components one or the other.

Other addons to follow

• Hi, the Raspberry cannot run the UTM as it's ARM, not x86. It's just an example of the new wave of devices without VGA.

Barry
  • yeppers..[:)]  vga isn't going anywhere anytime soon in the server/network appliance market..heck some appliance come with the output on a ethernet to vga cable..

Other addons to follow