This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG110/120 Serial cable Pinout.

Anyone know what the pinout is on the serial/console cable on the new ASG110/120? Is it compatible with the standard blue Cisco console cable?

I have six ASG120's (3 offices w/ HA config) and I'm kinda hoping it's compatible as that'd be one less cable to pack around. [:)]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • It´s a standard 9pin serial cable, so you can connect with a standard 9pin null modem cable (kinda serial crossover cable)
    see Null Modem  - receive and transmit pins are crossed.

the "old" ASG 110/120 have 9600 bps rate, the newer ones  I believe 38400 bps 
    8n1 as usual

But be carefull:
    the lightblue flat cable  from cisco is a straight-through (1:1) cable see What is a Cisco console cable? - David

the console port of cisco is - more or less - a "castrated" standard serial port, however, it means you also need a null modem (crossover) cable. Here is the trick: the blue cable is a straight through (rolled) cable, but the RJ45-to-DB9-Adaptor supplied by cisco is in reality a transmit-to-receive-pin-changer, so it "converts" the blue (rolled) cable to a nullmodem cable!

But as ASG  110/120 does not have RJ45  console ports but 9pin console ports, you need TWO of RJ45-to-DB9 adaptors - one to adapt the blue cable to the ASG, and one to adapt it to your pc´s serial com port.
    But if you use TWO of these CISCO adaptors, you have two crossover gender changers, which makes the whole setup - adaptor+bluecable+adaptor again to a rolled (straightthrough) cable!

So solution 1: if you intend to use the cisco blue cable, you need to buy a separate RJ45-to-DB9 gender changer/adaptor which does NOT cross receive and transmit pins
    or solution 2: throgh away your cisco blue cable, just go to the next hardware store, pay 5 dollars and buy a normal crossover/null modem cable, and forget  all I wrote above  :-)
  • ahhh this was bullshit par excellence :-)
    of course you asked about the NEW ASG 110/120 and this appliance HAS the RJ45 serial port.
    I don´t know exaclty but 99% sure that it is the same cabling like on Cisco.
    So just use your preferred cisco blue cable and it will work for sure. Pretty sure. Almost sure.  Surely sure :-)