This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro and UVerse not working

I put the Astaro VMWare appliance on my home ESXi server and setup eth1 with a host name so it could be placed in the DMZPlus mode on my U-Verse 3800 2Wire Gateway.  The UVerse Gateway puts Astaro in that mode successfully and I'm able to renew the IP address for the eth1 network interface and obtain an outside 99.x.x.x IP address.  But after 5-10 minutes U-Verse drops Astaro out of DMZPlus mode.  I've spent 2 hours talking with 3 people at U-Verse and they are not able to resolve this.  I've also placed an old D-Link DI-634M router in DMZPlus mode and a Windows 2003 Server overnight in DMZPlus mode and both of those stay connected.  After trolling many message boards I've read that the U-Verse gateway renews the IP address for the machine in DMZPlus mode every 10 minutes indicating a DHCP issue.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks,
John

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have astaro running on an old athlon box connected to the uverse residential gateway in DMZPlus mode without issue.  I had to be sure to restart the astaro box after the initial setup but I haven't had any problems.
  • That's good to know it is possible.

How are your network interfaces setup?  

I have eth0 setup as an Ethernet Adapter with a static IP address and eth1 setup as a Cable Modem (DHCP) type.  I have two network adapters on my ESX VMWare server with eth0 on one adapter and VMWare virtual switch, and eth1 on a separate VMWare virtual switch.  My hostname under system settings is vpn..com, eth0 hostname is "Int", and eth1 hostname is "Ext".  

Thanks,
    John
  • Sorry, I've been away from my box for a little while.  Anyway, the external interface is set to Cable Modem (DHCP) and the default gateway box is checked.  1500 MTU and nothing else is set.

The internal interface is ethernet standard with a static ip address on a class C.  No default gateway is set (0.0.0.0) and nothing else is checked.  Also a 1500 MTU.

On the AT&T Residential Gateway (RG), I chose the firewall as the DMZ Plus computer.  I then restarted the firewall and I believe I had to choose it again (and restart again) on the RG.  It's been a while, but I remember that once it got the new DHCP address (it should get the same IP address as the external interface on the RG) it appeared differently in the computer list on the RG.

It all works without a hitch now. [:S]
  • That's how I have mine configured and the basic steps I followed but it's not working.  I've tried running both the VMWare appliance and also created my own VM using the CD-ROM ISO and am wondering if running it on a dedicated box makes a difference.  Hmmm...  While it is in the DMZ for the few minutes it is there, I can access through the firewall and the VPN functionality works.  The device just can't keep it's IP address for some reason.

John
  • I have mine running on a dedicated box, so I can't comment on how it works in the VM.  Have you made sure that Astaro is the only VM that is using the interface connected to the residential gateway?  Make sure the host OS doesn't have the interface configured and that no other VM has the interface connected.  That could cause problems.
  • I dedicated one of the two network connections on my ESX server to the external network interface then setup a virtual switch connected to the internal network interface and to one other VM with a static IP running Windows XP and Internet Explorer to administrate Astaro.  Besides these two connections and the VMWare console connection, the virtual switch was completely isolated.  Even in this configuration it was unable to maintain the IP address assigned by the 2Wire gateway for more than 10 minutes.  The 2Wire gateway would also get out of sync requiring reboots and resetting all connections and DHCP assignments to bring it back to a working state.  I'm not sure what else to try.  I really like the administration UI for Astaro.  In any case I found this link on the 2Wire site...

2Wire.com: Home

VPN Connectivity Through the 2Wire Firewall

Most VPNs will work through the 2Wire gateways without any configuration required on the part of the end user. The compatible clients include, but are not limited to:

Standard PPTP for native Microsoft Windows PPTP client

Standard L2TP  for native Microsoft Windows L2TP client

Cisco IPSec-based VPN

Nortel Connectivity IPSec-based VPN

Safenet IPSec-based VPN

Juniper Networks NetScreen-Remote

Most PPTP- and L2TP-type clients can be used without any modifications to the 2Wire gateways firewall settings. Although most IPSec-compliant VPN software is directly compatible, you may need to change some settings on the IPSec server to insure that the IP address range does not conflict with the 2Wire gateways default home subnet.

VPN Solutions

To troubleshoot VPN-related issues:

If you are uncertain about any of the following information, contact your internal IT support staff if you are connecting to a company VPN.

Verify your IP scheme. If the virtual LAN and physical LAN use the same IP scheme (192.168.1.x), change the IP scheme on the 2Wire gateway.

Verify that the required ports are open on the firewall.

Verify that the VPN is not using IPSEC protocol 50 ESP in transport mode and IPSEC protocol 51 as they are incompatible with 2Wire gateways.  Only IPSEC Protocol 50 ESP in tunnel mode will work behind 2Wire gateways.

Place the computer in the DMZPlus mode.

Place the computer in the DMZPlus mode with caution! When the computer is in the DMZPlus mode, it allows all inbound traffic to this computer. If the VPN does not work when the computer is in the DMZPlus mode, the VPN is either using the same IP scheme or IPSec 50 or 51, which does not work with 2Wire gateways.

For questions regarding compatibility among 2Wire gateways, NAT (Network Address Translation), and IPSEC protocols, refer to RFC 3027: RFC 3027 (rfc3027) - Protocol Complications with the IP Network Address Tr.

For the compatible VPN protocol or software:

If you are running a PPTP server, forward the PPTP ALG (application layer gateway) to the computer functioning as the server.

1. Go to http://gateway.2wire.net.
       2. Click the Firewall tab.
       3. Click Firewall Settings.
       4. Enter your 2Wire system password to reach the Advanced Settings page, if prompted.
       5. Select the computer that will function as the VPN server.
       6. Select the PPTP server in the left column.
       7. Click Add.
       8. Click Done.

To change the IP scheme on your 2Wire residential gateway:

Contact your IT department for VPN protocols, software, and IP ranges that are in use.

1. Go to http://gateway.2wire.net.
       2. Click the Home Network tab.
       3. Click Advanced Settings.
       4. Enter your 2Wire system password, if prompted.
       5. Change the IP scheme to the 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0 or 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0.
       6. Click Save.

If you manually configure your IP scheme and/or disable DHCP, make sure to write down the IP and subnet mask assigned to the 2Wire gateway. If you do not have this information available after manually configuring your 2Wire gateway, you can download and install a packet capture utility to find the IP scheme and subnet mask.
  • I have the 2wire residential gateway (rg) set to the default ip address range which is 192.168.1.0/24 .  The network behind the astaro box is set to 192.168.123.0/24 with the internal astaro interface at 192.168.123.1 providing dhcp to the clients.  The external astaro interface is set to dhcp and it receives a public ip address from the RG, something in the 70.xx.xx.xx range.  This is the same IP address that the external interface of the RG has.  It's very strange that way.  The tv's and telephone are connected directly to the rg and receive ip addresses in the 192.168.1.0/24 range.  The internal address of the rg is 192.168.1.254.  I also removed the "display router behind router" alert.

I can attest that life is much easier if you use different subnetting for the two sides of your network.  Also for your internal network you want astaro to assign ip addresses not the residential gateway.  You essentially want to use the RG as an internet passthrough only.

I haven't had a chance to play with ESX server only vmware server so I don't know if there is anything that ESX might be doing to mess with the connection.
  • I just had Uverse installed and reading from here some have issues some dont. Could anyone give some pointers and wether or not it is a complete success. I presume dmzmode plus must be used but what alot of work for the consumer or business user to deal with.
    I have a 3800HGV-B if that matters and tech support was not much help. So where and how would I begin.
    I am going to try a few things later so we will see.

Was able to get working, now email issues

Thank You