This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Official 7.005 up2date different from Beta 7.005

How can I apply the newly released up2date to my beta 7.005?  I see the official release has two extra bugfixes.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Simon,
    echo "v7.004" /etc/version will set your ASG back one level (not sure whether it is v7.004 or 7.004. That will then allow you to apply the update. Give the system a couple of minutes to register the change back otherwise you will get an error "failed update".

Ian M
  • Thanks muchly.  Will try that.
  • Simon,
    echo "v7.004" /etc/version will set your ASG back one level (not sure whether it is v7.004 or 7.004. That will then allow you to apply the update. Give the system a couple of minutes to register the change back otherwise you will get an error "failed update".

Ian M

A couple of weeks ago we had a support case where the customer manually edited the version file but didn't get the syntax right. This utterly broke the system and rendered it unusable, the support teams weren't able to spot it directly, until it was escalated to RnD at last.
    Toying with things you are not supposed to toy with can lead to serious downtimes. This hack will help in Simon's case, because RPM versions are always increased from BETA up2dates to the final, official up2date, but it will NOT work when repeating regular system up2dates. The command is `echo " 7.004" > /etc/version` (a space in front, no 'v').

Regards,
     andreas
  • Thanks for the tip Andreas.  Suspected as much.

I did the edit, but without the space in front.

After a while the v7.005 updated to v7.004 (did not happen right away)
    I uploaded the up2date file and installed it.  System seems to be OK.

I can see this would not work if the up2dates were identical.  The beta and final were different versions and this worked OK.

Thanks to all.

Always have a backup handy !