This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG 3G/UMTS Support Test

Hi Everyone. Today you get some new unreleased stuff to play with!

With the release of Astaro Security Gateway 8.100, (which will be GA in just a few hours but it is already there for the soft-release as well), I can inform you that we have introduced an unpublished implementation of a feature: support for USB 3G/UMTS modems. This feature allows for these cellular USB-connected devices or “sticks to be used as Internet interface with your Astaro. The support of these devices lets you add cheap redundancy, or connectivity at temporary sites, remote locations, or areas without a good selection of affordable Internet connections. You can add 3G/UMTS connections to the ASG’s WAN (Internet) link balancing pool to increase total overall bandwidth. 3G interfaces are also supported when creating specific balancing rules.

Until this feature is been officially integrated (this is planned for the V8.200 release of ASG in the first half of 2011), full documentation and official support for these USB modems will not be available. However during these next months we would like to invite you to test our current abilities with the products available from the cellular providers in your area. Report results here when using ASG with the 3G/UMTS modems available to you. 

Your feedback will let us refine this feature and give us a wide testing bed of devices which we can release 8.200 with. During testing, if you encounter problems with a certain device, please do let us know. We may contact you via email to suggest some parameters which might be adjusted to successfully let ASG work with what you are testing.

To use it, just plugin a stick, then reboot and look for it in the Interfaces list. It should then be usable. If you are command line saavy, you will see the interface in CC and can edit certain 3G/UMTS only parameters if needed. Please remember, this is a Beta feature and not finished, if you use it in someplace critical it might fail horribly on you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Ok will try as soon I can reboot my device [;)]

=====

Rebooted, but still not "listed", but I can see at the log' that the device is beeing detected:

usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=1001
    usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
    usb 1-2: Product: HUAWEI Mobile
    usb 1-2: Manufacturer: HUAWEI Technology
    usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
    USB Serial support registered for generic
    scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
    usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
    USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
    option 1-2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    option 1-2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    option 1-2:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
    usbcore: registered new interface driver option
    option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
  • Hi Angelo,

used the feature quite a lot, also abroad. Works reliably with my Huawai E160, however doesn't properly work with my Vodafone Germany branded ZTE K3564-Z, but it could well be that I missed something there.

The model's info is by the way something that I seemed was missing while filling out the feedback form.

C.
  • Worrks well with: T-Mobile W'nW stick III
  • @AngeloC

Tried your response form but it was broken, tried multiple attempts.

positive result:
    Australia, telstra.bigpond
    Modem: Sierra Wireless AirCard® 880U  (unlocked, Telstra Bigpond model)

Worked fine in my few tests using Uplink balancing.
    Thanks for that new feature. Was desired and was given, cheers.

Will try with other modems on the same network and report back.
  • same thing here: a login page instead of a way to submit the requested test-results ;-( 
    why that?

I have tested in the Vodafone-network (Germany) with two different G3-Sticks (and the same SIM-Card with UMTS-Flatrate):

Vodafone Mobile Connect Stick Model: K3565-Z (ZTE Corporation): I can see the stick in Webadmin, but connection isn't coming up. PPP-Log ends with "No Carrier".

Vodafone Mobile Connect Stick Model: K3715-Z (Huawei) works fine.
  • Vodafone Mobile Connect HSDPA USB Stick  model K3565-Z from ZTE Corporation: visible in hardware but NO connection.
  • I connected a ATT Aircard 875U and the system allowed me to configure a interface on it. It connected with no issues. The thing I notcied that I was not real keen on was when I set it up as a standby interface and unpluged the cable modem Primary it failed over and worked just fine. All the NAT rules, DYNDNS updated fine, But when I pluged the Primary back in the system seem to not want to fail back to the primary. This is what I would hopt to happen in this configuration.

PS Tryed to enter the info on the feedback form but when I hit the submit button it sat there then gave a time out so don't know if it posted or not.
    No PIN needed
    APN configured it's self
    Just pluged it in and created the interface with only having to supply the Name of the interface.
    Reboot was reqired as you mentioned
  • Guessing with HA failover config we need 2 devices?  Or can we insert device in primary then swap it manually if unit fails over?
  • Working: Australian Optus 3G USB Stick.  (Huawei Mobile Broadband Model E1762)

Detected and connects and gets an IP address.  Great guys!
  • Hi Guys,

I got a bit of a wakeup lesson in Google Docs, since the form sharing, while it can be SEEN publicly, cannot be submitted without being on the Astaro intranet. Go figure, even with the most public settings this cannot be accomplished for non-astaro employees. I was going to look at a different solution, however with the smaller scale of this test, we'll just stick to replies in this thread with your successes and failures. To keep the thread clean, i may prune / delete the odd idle chatter comment, no offense! [:D]