This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android app 7.1.2457 -> no more Allow apps, PUA scanning problems

Hi,

my details are:

Sony Xperia Z5 - Android 6.0.1

rooted by choice

after the update to version 7.1.2457 those problems occurred:

1. Complete Scan seems to start by itself whenever it wants. No stop/cancel scan button any more?

2. I have disabled PUA detection yet I get a constant notification for 10-15 PUA in my phone (well I know that.. and I want them in that phone..) No way to disable that any more?

3. Allow button non existent any more in Threat apps / PUA apps (either ones installed or the ones found in SD scan). Please add the Allow button again to white list apps. 

4. Sophos security Guard is no longer listed as admin. In another thread here I read that it is no longer needed in Android 7+. But I'm in Android 6.

I fully understand that Sophos is building a quality app for all users (tech-savvy to ignorant ones) but please allow us to have white list apps by choice and root (put some warnings and an Allow button).

Some apps are pen test tools or Anti Theft tools that I have reported in the past as wrongly listed as PUA like the Cerberus anti-theft. It's your choice to list is as PUA but please let us also have a choice to white list it.

Thank youa

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Nikos, 

1. I checked and didn't see the stop/cancel option either. I will check on this and get back to you, but as of now if you want to stop the scan, you can force stop the app from the app setting. Settings > Apps > Application List > Sophos Mobile Security and Force stop.

a. Go to settings and select Apps

b. Select Application List

c. Select Sophos Mobile Security

d. Tap on Force Stop

Note: This is a workaround at the moment if you want to stop the scan

In the meantime, about the scan starting on its own, please go to Settings and check if the Schedule Scan is enabled.

2. I recreated the issue and tried disabling, Detect PUA and Scan System App. The PUA notification keeps popping up. Allow me to check on this and get back to you. 

3. In regards with the Allow button, I installed a Test Virus on my device to replicate the issue. As soon as I installed, Sophos Mobile Security arrested the Virus. 

On tapping the details, I could see the Allow Button there.

4. Yes, Sophos Security Guard no more has to be a Device administrator. What is the version of Sophos Security Guard? am assuming that it should be the latest version and that's why it is not a Device administrator anymore.  

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• The "Allow" in threats is available when a PUA/Threat is installed.

If the .apk is found in an SD scan then there is no "Allow" button.

In the following video you can see that:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZKKKk7ZuBeF9wzPhDhs6WcGQQNV0LTvpUuX

Also in the above video you can see that the Cerberus app which is a legitimate anti-theft app and is installed doesn't have an allow button.

Scheduled scan is disabled in my phone. That is not the problem with spontaneous scans.

Also PUA detection is disabled and the popup is continuously poping every few minutes.

When you click on it, it goes to a threat list but no PUA is shown since PUA scan is disabled.

An "Allow" for root would also be welcome. Otherwise with an irritating poping message all the time Sophos security is unusable from rooted users.

• Hi Nikos, 

Allow button is available only for the installed application. Unfortunately, you cannot allow a setup file/.apk. And regards with the PUA notification even after the feature is disabled, am still checking on it.

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.