This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM and XG VPN Support Question

Hi All,

I'm new to Sophos and this is my first post.

I have been using pfSense for a few months now and it seems to be working ok more or less but I have recently learned of Sophos UTM and XG home firewalls.

I have not yet actually tried either of your home edition offerings but am leaning towards moving to one or the other. From what I have read so far both the UTM and XG are fairly feature rich and I really like the GUI in both particularly the XG.

From what I can tell both UTM and XG have all the features I need except for one possible caveat, the info I found concerning VPN's wasn't really clear for a newb such as myself.

I have a VPN account through ExpressVPN and I am wondering if this will work with either UTM or XG like it does in pfSense?

If not is there any future plans to make it work?

As a side note ExpressVPN can be manually configured on a router using either OpenVPN, PPTP, or L2TP-IPSec.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Tracey Goodrich said:

Hi All,

I'm new to Sophos and this is my first post.

I have been using pfSense for a few months now and it seems to be working ok more or less but I have recently learned of Sophos UTM and XG home firewalls.

I have not yet actually tried either of your home edition offerings but am leaning towards moving to one or the other. From what I have read so far both the UTM and XG are fairly feature rich and I really like the GUI in both particularly the XG.

From what I can tell both UTM and XG have all the features I need except for one possible caveat, the info I found concerning VPN's wasn't really clear for a newb such as myself.

I have a VPN account through ExpressVPN and I am wondering if this will work with either UTM or XG like it does in pfSense?

If not is there any future plans to make it work?

As a side note ExpressVPN can be manually configured on a router using either OpenVPN, PPTP, or L2TP-IPSec.

Thanks

Tracey,

Are you asking if ExpressVPN will connect to the XG Firewall?  I don't know, and I don't think so.

If you are asking if you can use ExpressVPN through the XG Firewall, yes you can.  ExpressVPN is recognized by Sophos and listed in the Application Filter section.

This means that you can set the Application Filter in your XG Firewall to ensure that ExpressVPN is always allowed.