This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

iPad search

Hi

I have Sophos HOME on my iMac and would like to know if my iPad is connected to the iMac will Sophos do a scan of the iPad?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You Don’t Need an Antivirus On iOS

You Can Use

Sophos Mobile Security for iOS on the App Store

• George Hilton said:

Hi

I have Sophos HOME on my iMac and would like to know if my iPad is connected to the iMac will Sophos do a scan of the iPad?

Thanks

George,

The Sophos Home client on your iMac can scan connections to peripherals.  Sophos Home will scan your Time Machine, external hard drives, and virtual connections that are connected to your computer at the time of a full scan.

Sophos Home will scan the information flowing between your iPad and your computer, but Sophos Home can't scan your iPad/iPhone.  The security on your iPad/Phone prevents this from happening.  iOS security prevents the deployment of third-party security software from in iOS devices.

If you want to provide tighter security for your iOS devices, you can deploy a Mobile Device Manager such as Apple Configurator 2 *free* or Sophos Mobile.

If you want to constantly scan the traffic for all the computers and devices on your home network, you can deploy Sophos XG Firewall.

If the FBI has to sue Apple to get into iOS devices, I think you're fairly safe from malware affecting your iOS devices.  The real danger is that your iOS device can pass Windows and Unix/Linux malware to PCs.  This can happen in several ways, but it most commonly occurs via email and side-loading applications (special apps that allow you to load files directly into your device from a computer or cloud service: Dropbox, OneDrive, Amazon Drive, Google Drive, f.lux, BlockParty, etc ).  This danger is prevalent when nothing is scanning the connection to your iOS device.  In most cases, your email provider is probably scanning your email, but your side-loading service may not be scanning your files.