This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Home Edition version 9.5 Preview

The engineering team for Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac is happy to announce the availability of a preview of our next significant release for Home Edition. You can download this installer directly from our site using this link:

http://www.sophos.com/Pages/DownloadRedirect.aspx?downloadKey={8579BC43-753D-48D0-8C74-60593FEB7097}

Follow that link, accept the EULA, run the installer. It will automatically upgrade an existing 9.4 installation to version 9.5 if required. Your existing settings will be preserved during the upgrade.

This update improves stability and performance. No new features, but it addresses issues reported here in the forum and from our business customers.

NOTE: this version requires Mac OS X 10.8 or newer. It will not install and will not run on Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7.

Now for the FAQ:

• Is this the same as Sophos Home? No this is the "classic" Home Edition. The team working on Sophos Home will be incorporating this new version into their product in the coming months.
  • What does Preview mean? We aren't yet releasing this to all users. We want to get your feedback first, from willing volunteers. Once we are satified this release is good enough for everyone we'll automatically upgrade to this version.
  • Should I reboot after installation? Not required immediately but doing so will purge the old kernel drivers from memory.
  • Any new features? Not really. This release contains a full rewrite of the on-access scanning subsystem to improve system stability and reduce overall memory usage. This release also runs the content scanner as an unpriviliged user, same as the web scanner in the past, as security best-practice. You may notice scheduled scans or scanning from the Finder is snappier though.
  • Is it safe to run? You've tested it, right? Yes this release has passed our internal quality assurance process. We have been running this version internally for a while now, it has proven quite stable.

Please post any issues you have, we definitely want to hear about your experience as soon as possible. Thank you!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Bob,

I have tried to install the 9.5 (I am using the 9.4.2 at the moment) and upgrade does not work. Incompatible version found!

Tell me what log you need. Send me an email privately.

• Sounds like you don't have the classic Home Edition product installed. When you open the About panel from the Sophos "shield menu" it should say "Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition". What does your's say?

---

Bob Cook (bob.cook@sophos.com) Director, Software Development

• Problem: the link above does not automatically parse (just gets underlined when clicked, but does nothing), so copied it and, after filling out the Software Export Compliance form (is all that really necessary?--never encountered that anywhere except at Sophos), DL'd the zip, which, when opened, contains the 9.5 app, savi.bundle and av-data. Moved the app to /Applications, and when asked, replaced the 9.4 app with the new 9.5. Continued with the install, but got a message that the installer couldn't continue. Looked in the install.log, where I'm seeing that it's missing the savi.bundle. Tried putting that bundle in /Applications, but that doesn't help. Could try to move it somewhere into Package Contents, but not really sure what to do with it or where it belongs. And not sure what to do with av-data.

Bottom line, your instructions say just follow that link, accept the EULA and run the installer, but doesn't appear to be so simple.

EDIT: I've restored everything the way it was before moving the 9.5 to /Applications and replacing the 9.4.

• Hello,

I think you missed the point of the download - its an installer. After you download it, please run it (don't just drop it into your /Applications folder - that won't actually upgrade anything).

---

• What do I run for the install, the app or the installer components? If it's the latter, it moves the app into /Applications?

Ran the app. It worked. Thanks

• Run the thing that is named "Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition". It requires the folder of things named "Sophos Installer Components" and will refuse to run if its missing or damaged.

---

• Posted above. Running the app from within savosx_he_p folder ran the installer, which worked just fine. Looking forward to no more CPU consuming Intercheck. You did say that was gone now, right?

Suggestion: to avoid confusion such as I experienced, might be an idea to rename Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.app to installer.app or have the whole thing show up as a package installer? Or at least a ReadMe?

• Bobcook,

I had the Sophos Home Edition Cloud Version.

I decided to uninstall it and Install the 9.5 Version. All good. I will launch a Scan in these days and let you know.

• I just learned about the Sophos 9.5 beta from the weekly email Digest, downloaded and installed it over Sophos 9.4.2. The installation went smoothly and I rebooted and then ran "Update Now" and got a megabyte level update (mine are usually a few KB's) so maybe that should be part of the installation procedure since the AutoUpdate default setting leaves "Check for Updates" on connection unchecked.

I ran a partial scan in which nothing was found, as expected. However, in looking at the log, I noticed that while Scan Adware and PUAs is checked in Preferences, the Configuration in the log says:    Scan for adware and potentially unwanted applications (PUA): No

At the same time, the results of the scan showed "Files Scanned: 50101, Threats Found: 0, PUAs found: 0, Issues found: 0." Were the PUAs not looked for because of the Configuration or were they looked for but none were found?

• Hey ZRL1, nice to hear from you (and thanks for installing the preview - much appreciate the support).

Just spoke to the developer for this feature, he wants to know which preference setting you checked. There is one for On-Access scanning (in Preferences) as well as a separate one for each Custom scan (in the Options panel). In a quick check, it seems to be working as expected at our end.

---