This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migration Tool error

Hi there,

I have an issue at present where I cannot seem to migrate laptops on Corporate WIFI. I get the attached error. 

However the same error is also present on those where the migration has succeeded, which is confusing.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mevesh

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Dear Mevesh,

Is Migration Tool working okay for general installs?

Can Someone tell me if the Tool is Ready for deployment? We have 1 Admin Server - 15 SUM and 56 CID Servers. Globally .

If Yes What Version?

• Hello skyisbluescreen,

15 SUM
    first of all, AFAIK a SUM can't be migrated with the tool
    (are some of them Message Relays as well?). Furthermore, Central Endpoint updates from the cloud - do you intend to pass on the SUMs and CID servers?

Christian

• Dear Christian Many Thanks for the Reply!

SUM Cant be Migrated with Tool -

Yes i am aware of it, 

Central Endpoint updates from the cloud - do you intend to pass on the SUMs and CID servers?

No

All we want to do is Start Migration of End Point Clients, However we have received the information that its not possible to use the Migration Tool for our environment (1Main Server + 15 SUM+56DS)

All our Systems are scattered all across the Globe, All we are looking for is it an easy Migration to Cloud. Coming to the Cloud architecture our configuration is to setup a direct updates from Cloud.We are not setting up any add on box to distribute the Updates from CLOUD.

• Hello skyisbluescreen,

its not possible to use the Migration Tool
    it's likely also not feasible to work around the Known Issue (MTC-710). You'd have to direct all your endpoints to the main default share and then remove and disable and remove all the SUMs before you can use the tool (i.e. you can't use a staged approach).

I'm not familiar with the detailed workings of the tool not even Central and migration to it. Maybe has a suggestion ...

Christian

• Dear  and  

As its not possible to run the MTC on any SUM or Dis Server,  Considering the Example below If I direct the Share on CHNCCA Dis Server to the Main Server (CHNS000) and i run the Tool directly on CHNS00 To Migrate the Clients which are under CHNCCA will that work ?

We got around 10K, Hence we would like to roll out with the MTC as it gives a clear picture of Migration Status of the on the client if its ready or not. Etc ???

Ex-

Really appreciate your comments in this regards

• Hello skyisbluescreen,

whether the tool looks for additional SUMs and balks when it finds one or simply requires that all Primary locations point to the main server doesn't make a difference - I fear you can't migrate per distribution server or SUM.

Hmmm ... thinking about it ... assuming you install another main server besides CHNS000, say CHNMIG, with the same identity, configure RMS in the CID(s) on CHNMIG similar to a relay configuration, change the Primary for select groups to CHNMIG, the endpoints should then "appear" on CHNMIG. Install the CMT and migrate the first batch. From the docs it seems that the tool can deal with newly arriving computers.

Christian 

•  Thanks again for this information, Let me see if i can get an approval to try this.

Do you thing the Sophos would consider to upgrade  MTC shoon  to solve the issue of Multiple SUM not meeting the Tool requirements?

If NO,

Why Would they do that, Releasing an Migration Tool not capable to handle a Enterprise Network?

Regards

• Hello skyisbluescreen,

as said I have no experience with the tool. The Concepts chapter suggests that it writes directly to the share - and the default share one the management server is the only one that is guaranteed to exist and be writable. Furthermore it needs access to the database (not sure why it requires the database to be local). Guaranteed writing to a child SUM's default share would require that it runs on the SUM - but then it might not be able to access the database.
    I reckon that complex topologies could be supported if SEC itself were to handle to migration. The Installer could be distributed like any other product, the logic would have to be added to SEC though - and as Central doesn't (at least not short-term) supersede SESC this effort isn't justified. The SEC guys have better things to do than working on their product's demise.

Why
    IMO Central was initially targeted at small to medium businesses (keep in mind that Central does not (yet) support strict version control and change management) that - if they aren't new customers - likely have just one server. It'd not have been a good decision to wait with the release of Central until the availability of an Enterprise-capable migration tool.

Christian

• Many thanks again  for depth insight on this.. 

•  Could You Answer on the Below?

Will Sophos Release a Migration Tool capable to Handle Sophos Enterprise Versions with Multiple SUM's and Distribution Servers??