Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Making msi install packages for Windows 2000,XP,Vista,7

We are a Sophos customer and have an emerging need for an msi install solution for Sophos to a highly distributed user population > 200,000 square miles distributed.

Suggestion:

I have not verified this procedure, but its been requested from a portion of our Active Directory admin population. I would appreciate comments and suggestions to help it along.

The following is based on a couple of documents on the web.

There is a document on ehow.com labeled "How to create an msi package from an exe". There is a document on Sophos.com labeled "KB 1256" Incorporating Sophos in a disk image

Combining the information from both:

1. pick a network accessible capture machine, insert the windows server cd, navigate to and install

Valueadd\3rdparty\Mgmt\Winstle\Swiadmle.msi

3. pick another network accessible machine that represents the msi package target machine

4. from the target, use network file sharing to access and run

Winstall\Discoz.exe

5. from the target install Sophos (from the Central Install Directory; or; from a custom standalone Setup.exe) and reboot

6. from the target, stop the following services

sophos messaging router

sophos agent

sophos autoupdate service

7. from the target, remove the pkc and pkp entries from the following registry keys;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sophos\Messaging System\Router\Private]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sophos\Remote Management System\ManagementAgent\Private]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sophos\ALC Agent\Private]

8. from the target, use network file sharing to access and run

Winstall\Discoz.exe

9. retrieve the msi package and verify by installing in on a third machine

a. the newly installed machine should appear in the in the sophos management console

In theory this is not the cleanest, smallest msi package possible, it may include the setup files found in windows\temp and initial message router logs, it may also be prudent to review and consider KB 28591 which takes another route, by uninstalling antivirus and remote management and allowing the autoupdate system re-install them upon first boot.

There are a lot of potential problems with a static msi installer, such as forgetting to update it. The same msi installer will probably not work for 32 and 64 bit variants. The same msi installer will also probably not work across different versions or flavors of Windows operating systems. And msi installers will most certainly not work on MacOSX or any other operating system.

There are scripted options for installing Sophos in Active Directory in KB 13090

On flipsidereality.com there is a suggested GPO silent install vbs script using the original setup.exe installer.

We have mentioned msi installers during our support engagement with Sophos as a desired feature, and it was almost a deciding factor to adopting Sophos during the initial purchase. Only the ability to run the management console in a non-Active Directory environment.. made a difference. Ironically that is transitioning from an overriding feature to a less important one since we are adopting Active Directory and the issue of an msi installer is beginning to change the situation.

If this thread stays open, I'll publish our findings.

Thanks

:6033

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

I would never entertain deploying Sophos using the MSI files.  AutoUpdate should install all the packages as AutoUpdate loads setup pugins specific to each product it manages to help with the install.  These setup plugins perform tasks outside of the MSIs and you can see alupdate.exe loading them.  

If forced to deploy the solution as a MSI I would only install SAU in this way. Even then you'd still need to configure SAU to grab the required packages by adding the registry keys that define the products SAU manages under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Products

and modifying iupd.cfg to define the packages as well.  Unfortunately not all products seem to require registering under the registry key, e.g. RMS, so iupd.cfg under the config directory of SAU would need to be adjusted also.  All very unsupported and nothing to say this would or wouldn't change at any time.  It still requires more work outside of a simple deployment.

If I've learned anything about looking after Sophos, it is stick to the supported procedures, so I'd favour a AD startup script with plenty of logic to ensure the install is bullet proof and maybe have a few WMI filters on the GPO to ensure it only hits the machines I would want.

To package up a whole installer as an exe that could be run by anything or anyone, I would favour creating a sfx which packs a CID, the SFX then runs the setup with all the necessary switches to perform the install.  As setup supports a group on bootstrap switch to put the machine in a group in SEC once managed, I would use this to get at least a basic/generic policy to the machines.  There could be some conditional logic in the package such that the command line parameters passed to setup change based on machine markers, such as OS, IP range, computer name, gateway, etc..  Keeping one package and adding such logic might force you to create a setup.exe wrapper exe/script, that the sfx calls first but this is still lower risk than using the MSI files as the switches to setup are really the only supported interface to deploying the solution and unlikely to be changed just extended over time.

Just my thoughts,

Jak

:6035
  • Excellent comments.

Exactly the type of dialogue I was hoping for, the autoupdater approach is very interesting.

I really appreciate the level of detail in your reponse.

:6037