This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error Code 0x80070643 on version 10.6

Encountered this error suddenly with a "red cross" on the Sophos taskbar icon.

Time: 5/4/2016 17:26:58
Message: ERROR:   Product installation failed: Sophos System Protection: 0x80070643
Module: ALUpdate
Process ID: 3596
Thread ID: 5100

Any idea how to resolve this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I've seen this out in the field myself, in my case it was on mainly server class operating systems; Win 2008 thru Win 2012.

It can be one of two things.

Firstly, if another MSIExec process is running or more likely requires a post action from a previous msiexec process then we will halt.

But, more often than not it's a missing Windows Update that causes the issue.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms15-074.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If this hasn't been installed, or the rollup for it, investigate if you can.

==

When in doubt, Script it out.

• Hello brandon ee,

SSP was already installed? Anyway, please check the SophosSystemProtectionSetup_... logs in \Windows\Temp\ if they exist. If there is none search for possibly related errors in the Windows Application Event Log. If SSP was already installed and the error the ALUpdate log(s) in \ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Logs\ should tell you why AU attempted an install (AFAIK there haven't been any updates to SSP yet which require an install).

Christian